Greenbacks rule!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenbacks rule!

I grabbed this marshall 1960Ax off of Ebay last week, and I have to say, anyone with a 5150 or a B-52 will love this cab. I have realized I am not a V30's fan, so the Avatar cab with the 2 hellatones in it is just not cutting it.
    The greenbacks just sound so much smoother. With my GMW I'm getting a real good old school vibe. I can't believe how much better both amps sound through this cab.
    I'll try to post up some sound clips tomorrow
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

And its classy looking. SCREAMS rock and roll.

How's the low end?

Comment

I have a 1978 cab with black backs, same thing. But i can tell you now the older green/black backs sounds different then the new ones, they are more boxier, alot of midrange etc..

I go through phases with the V30's, sometimes i love them to death, other times i am disgusted with them, like today i was loving playing through my marshall JCM800 cab with 75's and the V30's where turning me off.

I have a cab with the G12H-30 watt speakers http://professional.celestion.com/gu...etail.asp?ID=7 that i have not wired up yet, but i heard these speakers are really good, nice mix between the V30's and greenbacks, the one thing i dont like about greenbacks is the lack of tight bottem end.

Comment

Man, I own the mid 70s Marshall cabs with the 25s... I actually use them very happily at low volumes with my VHT2150 right now. (Happier with my EV 300 watt speaker tho)

And also I've owned a few 5150s.. You will kill those speakers at stage levels with a 5150 and some resonance set high... The greenbacks distort way too easy and will burn up... Seriously.... Be careful.

Comment

ahh but with certain fav'd 50 watter JMP's.. they are great IMO. I luv my 25's. I like 30's, 50's and 75's too.
          Last edited by charvelguy; 05-29-2006, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I love my greenbacks(my 75s are ok and I'm really liking these EVs) , but when greenbacks get pushed, I can hear them actually change their tone after about 10 minutes of heavy wattage... They actually get different sound, much less crisp. Saggy maybe...

I think they worked well with the older cleaner amps as they were actually distorting along with the amps in a complimentary way.

But you square wave those speakers at high wattage too long and...

Comment

I use the old EVM12L too, I have a couple from the 80's. Those and the classic 100 watt Fanes are nice for high power apps. 25's are easy to blow.. I agree you have to be careful...and at the prices they are going for nowadays you're better off finding a different stage speaker.

Comment

Cool cab. I might go for greenbacks too. V30´s arn´t just my thing.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. ClevelandMetal, I'm not in a band gigging right now (may never again, I'm an old fugger) so I won't be turning either of these amps up past 4/5 anyway.the 5150 is 60 watts and with the post gain on 3 it's really pretty close to as loud as I can run it. the B-52 is a 100 watts but that's got a master volume on it so I can get a good sound out of it at relatively low volumes.the Avatar cab I got (the 5150 is sitting on it) has 2 Hellatone V30's in it and it's closed back, tons of bottom. If I were to go jam with a band I would bring the 5150 and the Avatar cab and just run all 4 12 that way. the V30's seem to sound better to me the louder you crank them up.The Greenbacks seem to sound better to me at lower volumes.Anyone else find this? that the V30's need to be pushed to really sound good (which in a live situation is a good thing!)The greenbacks definitely lack bottom end compared to the V30's but I don't play a lot of metal where I neeed tons of bottom, and I can always just switch cabs if I'm in the mood. I must say though it's a lot easier to mic the V30's than it is the grenbacks.
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

When I'm playing quietly, I love my greenbacks over the 75. I just have too much power and bass chug when i get to pushing them and I don't wanna kill these.

Yeah, the cab with the EV12s is getting the most play as of lately tho... Less coloration. The celestions seem to have some odd peaks that don't jive with my amp setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X