Amp Shopping for Old Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Shopping for Old Guys

I haven't been amp shopping in several years and, my work schedule makes it impossible for me to get to a store to try anything out. So, I have to order whatever I get. I don't need a "do it all" job. I am going to use this amp for an 80's metal/rock nostalgia act. A good clean sound, along with nice "Lynch-esq" rhythm and lead tones will be all I am looking for. So far, one of the Marshall TSL combos, coupled with a 1x12 looks like it might do the trick. I am also thinking about going with the JMP preamp along with the 50/50 amp.

The JCM-800 reissue is tempting, but I would end up having to use a second amp for cleans and that head, when cranked up to really sound good, is going to be too loud.

Is there anything else out there that cops good rock tones? I recently played through a friends 5150 and while it is a great sounding amp in its own right, I thought it just sounded too dark/scooped for what I am wanting an amp to do.

Have any other old guys (I'm 34), had any experience with the following:

Randall MTS series
    Carvin Legacy or MTS
    Mesa Stilletto

well the MTS would allow you to buy 3 modules that would give you exactly what you are looking for. but a clean module, a marshall based module, then the modern module and you'll have exactly what you are looking for!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Eh I'm not "old" but the Soldano Lucky 13 seems pretty cool to me and should not be too dark.

Comment

Thanks, I forgot that Soldano has several models.

Comment

That's what happens when you get old!

Comment

So true. Age couple with three major head traumas has taken a toll on my memory.

Comment

The Carvin MTS would probably suit your needs, it has a beautiful clean channel and the drive channel is similar to a JCM800 but with a lot more gain, more than you'll need for what you described. I'm sure the Randall MTS and the Mesa would be nice too. The Carvin would be the best value of the three as far as price goes though.

I have the VM100 which is the series previous to the MTS and after the X100B. I tried the MTS several times at Carvin Hollywood and Carvin Santa Ana and it's sonically identical, just cosmetically different. I love my VM100 and would be just as happy with an MTS. And I'm MUCH older than you at 48 years old, so relax sonny, you ain't that old yet!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Rivera Clubster 45-112 ~ black face-ish cleans and modded Marshalll dirty tones. It was a little sterile sounding, but it could have been that it wasn't broken in. http://www.rivera.com/pclub45-112.php

Comment

Get a nice power amp and one of these! http://www.tech21nyc.com/triac.html
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Randall MTS will work for you just as stated above. Also, they are going to be releasing some George Lynch modules for it soon so you can have your clean and distorted tones as well as Lynch tone too

Rudy
                    www.wickedrocks.com
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

The Lynch modules look interesting.

Searching through all of the posts in this section also has me considering a Vetta. I might hit Atlanta one day this week and try one out at Guitar Center.

Comment

Working...
                      X