Boss PS-5 - any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss PS-5 - any good?

Has anyone tried a Boss PS-5 pitch shifter?

I had one of the old PS-2 pitch shifter/delay pedals, which I sold on ebay because I thought it sounded terrible if you shifted the pitch more than a third or a fifth. I bought that it the early 90's so I would think that technology has improved compared to the price point so that for the 150.00 it should be pretty good.

On the Boss webste, the sound samples seem pretty good, but there seems to be qute a bit of a delay between the dry and effect signals. Is that intentional, or does it just track that slowly?

Any comments would be appreciated. I have one more slot in my pedal board, and the empty space is driving me nuts.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

I had a PS-5. It pretty much sucked donkey balls. The older Harmonist pedal was much better sounding. There are some rack pieces that are much better choices - Digitech IPS33, IPS33B, DHP33 - Eventide of course. The Digitechs can be had for < $200 on Ebay depending on the model - the IPS33B and DHP33 have the added benefit of doing the Whammy pedal thing.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Thanks, Tim. I should have just asked you first. Should have know if anyone here had used one, it would have been you.

- E.

Comment

Man, my PS2 works great. You do have to use it in the fx loop though, and run a cable to the detector input then so it doesn't try to use a distorted signal for pitch ID.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
          ...and run a cable to the detector input then so it doesn't try to use a distorted signal for pitch ID.

Pete
          This is an internal mod of which you speak?

- E.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL
            This is an internal mod of which you speak?

- E.
            No, there's a detector input on the right hand side of the pedal, under the input. I use the extra out from my strobostomp tuner.

pete

Comment

Man, my PS2 works great. You do have to use it in the fx loop though, and run a cable to the detector input then so it doesn't try to use a distorted signal for pitch ID.

Pete
              The PS5 dropped the detector input. It needs it back.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                The PS5 dropped the detector input. It needs it back.
                Without the detector, the pitch 'wobbles' all over the place, especially if you run it in the loop where it sounds the best. Bad move by Boss!

Pete

Comment

Without the detector, the pitch 'wobbles' all over the place, especially if you run it in the loop where it sounds the best. Bad move by Boss!

Pete
                  I never remember mine having a detector input... strange. The ones I see on ebay don't have one either. But yeah, I found the pitch to be very wobbly beyond a shift of more than a fifth.

- E.

Comment

I also have a PS-2, and it doesn't have the detector input either. It's got the output on the left, the input on the right, and the tuner-out just in front of the input on the right.

I think I bought it when it was newly introduced, I think in early '89. I recently pulled mine out of retirement to screw around with after selling the Digitech 2120.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Sorry guys, mine is an HR2 - harmonist pedal. DOH!

Pete

Comment

Well THAT makes a little more sense!

- E.

Comment

Sorry guys, mine is an HR2 - harmonist pedal. DOH!

Pete
                          we're on the same page then - I was beginning to wonder...

- Newc

Comment

Maybe that's why I really dig mine. I've been thinking about getting a PS5 and using an expression pedal with it... would I be able to get whammy effects that way? Or should I just get a whammy?

Pete

Comment

PS5 as whammy was not good.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X