Recent strange amp problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent strange amp problems

This just started in the past two weeks, I can't get the same sounds out of my xxx from session to session. I don't have a 'favorite' setting, so I tinker with it a lot anyway, but lately I'll get a good sound, walk away a couple of hours or days, and when I go back NOTHING sounds the same.

Nothing. Volume, gain, eq - they all change, like the amp is haunted. I've tried different tubes, and even different guitars and cords, and with and without anything in the loop or the wah in front. The changes never seem to be the same twice: it is just all over the place.

This pic might help, if anybody gets a chance to take a look.

http://www.keithupson.com/images/amp.jpg

Thanks in advance,
    Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

:ROTF:
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Whoa, baby!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My guess would be that the power from your outlets is varying a lot. Word on the street is different voltages affect the way tube amps sound (ala eddie and the variac). Have you tried runnining a regulated power source of some sort?

They are kind of expensive from what I hear, so it may not be worth it to you.
        "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Nevermind, I just viewed the pic
          "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

A total classic Keith. Damn that was funny.
            I wondered the same thing a long time ago when our VCR started acting up.
            I took it apart and found a cheese sandwich was inside of it.

Kids. They are the BEST.

Comment

I'm sorry, fr0sty, I didn't mean to make you waste a good response. I was a little worried about that, but hoped that people would click out of curiosity before posting any knowledgeable answers.

So I apologize for crying wolf.

Maybe I should just get a second cab (even a second 2x12) so she can't reach...

Comment

Originally posted by axtogrind
                That's actually a great idea on how to get some more gear. I need to keep my stuff a little lower.

joe....
                www.godwentpunk.com
                www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

That's a great friggin' picture.:ROTF:
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by axtogrind
                    I'm sorry, fr0sty, I didn't mean to make you waste a good response. I was a little worried about that, but hoped that people would click out of curiosity before posting any knowledgeable answers.

So I apologize for crying wolf.

Yeah, but she'll grow into the second 212 pretty soon - which is why you sell the wife on a 412 instead - maybe 2! That way she couldn't reach the controls until she was 21!

Actually, a 412 takes up the same floorspace as a 212, so why not? Go high-rise!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

No joke: I sold the 4x12 and bought this 2x12 while we were turning the spare bedroom into her bedroom, getting ready for her arrival. It is almost like she is rubbing my nose in it.

Can't walk yet, but she is all about the amp...

Comment

aww, ain't she precious?

So how are your speakers holding up, not to mention the neighbours? Or are you checking levels before you turn it on?
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Doesn't matter how big the cabinets are... she'll learn to climb!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great Pic!!!! :ROTF:

Comment

Before I realized that she was doing this, I took the amp off standby one night and both my eardrums burst. Not really, but I got the point: check, and double check, all the knobs before firing up the amp. No problems since.

And honestly, she is already climbing. No fear, no respect for gravity. At least she has the pain threshold for it: she just shakes it off, and keeps on going.

Comment

Working...
                              X