No announcement yet.

amps/cabs that are good out of the box.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amps/cabs that are good out of the box.

I am wondering something. Are there any amps that are good and ready to go brand spankin new with no break-in period or modifications needed? I am assuming most amps, especially tube amps, need to be played a while for things to warm up. I read a lot about how people re-tube their heads, and it seems to be a going trend. I know nothing about tubes, butI am assuming people do this to get a different sound.

Also, lets talk about cabs. I was reading on Avatar's website that they sell speakers that have been "broken in" for 15 + hours. Is this typical with most cab and their speakers?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Speakers always sound better after they've been run for awhile.

as to amps; The Orange Rockerverb stuff sounds pretty amazing stock right out of the gate.

I played a Cornford RK100 last weekend that was just about the best sounding head I've ever used

Comment

I have been playing for over 30 years and I have never heard of an amp or speakers needing a break in period. Maybe some speakers sound better as they age but it isn't a requirement.
      Regarding both amps and speakers... you pretty much get what you pay for if you go new.
      Great stock tube amps include:
      Peavey 5150, 6505
      Carvin Legacy, MTS
      Marshall DSL50,100, TSL
      ANYTHING Soldano
      ANYTHING Boogie (it depends on the tone you are looking for, they have amps for any style or tone)
      Engl
      VHT
      Randall MTS

Regarding cabinets,
      Marshall
      GenzBenz
      Mesa
      Carvin
      Peavey Sheffield equipt.
      etc...

Comment

Speakers most definitely take some time to break in. It's generally talked about more in places like hi-fi stereo forums than guitar forums though.

Even headphones take awhile to break in. (see head-fi.org for more than you ever wanted to know about headphones)

That all being said, a good cab will not sound bad when it's brand new. It will just change a bit as the speakers relax a bit.

Comment

It takes my Rivera a while to warm up after I turn it on as well! And the sound comes to life when it does too!!
          I love admins!

Comment

Engl, Mesa cabs and most amps.

Comment

5150 is my coice, and will be for a damned long time, but ENGL, VHT, and the Mesa Mark IV are also awesome, for amps.

For cabinets, I dig my Avatar 2x12 with V30's, but I will be going for a 1960 with V30's and G12T75's in an X pattern after I get my recording rig settled.

Comment

DSS, will you A/B those rigs? I'd be interested in hearing the difference, if any.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well the main reason will be for recording versatility and because I find Marshall cabs do sound a bit better than Avatar. Hell, maybe I'll just get a Marshall 2x12 and swap the speakers, and have dedicated cabinets for each... that'll probably work out best, actually, and cheapest.

I do, however, plan to someday run a 5150, TriAxis, and G-System in such a way that will let me use either preamps with the 5150's poweramp, switch between the two, combine 'em, etc.

Comment

Here are the ones I own and think highly of:
                    Bogner Uberschall
                    Mesa Dual Rectifier
                    Randall MTS
                    My favorite is of course the Bogner. For something more reasonably priced, the Randall MTS is great sounding and very versatile amp. It sounds better than many amps that cost hundreds more!
                    An amp I do not own but sounds killer is a Bad Cat Hot Cat. Great sounding stuff!
                    For 4x12 cabs, I like the Mesa Recto cab with Vintage 30's. For 2x12's I have some of the old ADA Split Stacks. I'd like to pick up a Bogner Uberkab next.

Rudy
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Amp-Bogner shiva
                      Hot Cat

Cab- Orange 2x12

Comment

I'm very happy with the Randall stuff I've used and been using. Everything from their cabs to most of their amps have clicked nicely with me. Other than that the 5150 was always my favorite for plug n play

Comment

Engl Fireball

Comment

Working...
                          X