questions about Jackson cabinets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about Jackson cabinets?

My buddy, came across a Jackson 280 watt cab. He wants to know how these things are. What type of music do these accomadate. What a good price for one of these?

One of the guys in a band we went on the minitour with (we also share a practice space with them, too) has a fullstack of the Jackson cabs. To me, there is just something that doesn't sound good with them. They have an ice-pick-like high end and no matter how you tweak the amp it always sounds like its really heavily scooped.

Comment

You could do way better. Did you use the search function?
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yea, I used the search. I just really wanted to find out what the current price range of these cabs are. From what I understand they were made by a few different compamies for Jackson.

Comment

I guess what Ron and Inearthed are saying is that it sounds like crap. That being the case, why would you want it at whatever price? For a conversation piece?

There was one in the VCR repair shop by my house, left for an unpaid bill. The guy wanted $150 for it. After trying it, I passed. so it ain't worth $150 to me, if that helps.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

But they look sook cool. Or did, what like 20 years ago when they made 'em?

|My CSG gallery|
            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I have one like in the picture above, and I think it sounds great. The speakers are supposedly made by Eminence. Not sure about the models with red speakers. My Jackson Apogee 50 combo has Celestion V30s, but no idea about the Reference series cabs.
              sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=lerxstcat]I guess what Ron and Inearthed are saying is that it sounds like crap. That being the case, why would you want it at whatever price? For a conversation piece?

Like I said in my post. My buddy came across it. I dont want it and already told him they are garbage. I am just trying to get a little info for him.

Comment

I think my vertical 2x12 cabs with the red speakers sound pretty good. A little on the bright side, but not overly so. They're supposedly made by Eminence, and I believe they are, as the cones are pretty big like another set of Eminence speakers I've got laying around.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[quote=parntz145]
                    Originally posted by lerxstcat
                    I guess what Ron and Inearthed are saying is that it sounds like crap. That being the case, why would you want it at whatever price? For a conversation piece?

Like I said in my post. My buddy came across it. I dont want it and already told him they are garbage. I am just trying to get a little info for him.
                    Sorry if I sounded harsh to you. I was stoked to find the cab until I played through it. I had 2 Carvin 412 cabs from the early X-series, with the wide screen metal grills, and they sounded 10 times better than the Jackson cab did. It had the red speakers btw. Now if it had sounded good to me I'd have bought it even though I didn't need it, but it just didn't sound good. When you can pick up a used JCM800 cab for $400, why take a chance.

I guess if I had NO cabs and needed one, and it was $150, I'd probably get one and see what I could do with it. But into the $250 range I'd definitely take a Carvin, Randall, Peavey or even a better Crate cab over the Jackson, unless he just wants it for looks.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X