Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TC Electronic G-Minor MIDI pedal - what's it good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC Electronic G-Minor MIDI pedal - what's it good for?

I just picked up a Rocktron MultiValve processor, mostly to combine EQ, Hush and speaker sims into a single rack unit. I do like most of the effects in this thing, but the only thing I expect to use often is delay or one of the wah or phaser presets. I have an ART X-11 MIDI controller, but it's overkill for most of my needs. The TC G-Minor is compact, but I'm not entirely clear on what it would or would not be capable of compared to the ART.

I'm a MIDI noob.
    sigpic

You can assign any of the functions of the Rocktron to any of the 3 buttons on the G-Minor. In normal mode.. the G-minor works with 3 buttons. 2 are bank up and down and 1 is channel select. It has other functions too but they are only available when you are using the G-Major with it.

Comment

My G Minor was FREE when I purchased my Major. It was good for a $35 trade-in at a local music store.

Comment

Looks like I have some learning to do. My ART preamp and the Rocktron processor are both MIDI-capable. I don't necessarily need that for my intended purpose - studio use recording rhythm and lead tracks separately - but it seems like a waste NOT to use MIDI if the functionality is there. Although I must admit, I'm already close to getting overwhelmed with all the options I have.

My next question then would be this: for simply bypassing a MIDI device, is the G-Minor probably the smallest and easiest pedal out there? My preamp can be bypassed with a basic on/off footswitch via a 1/4" jack, but the MultiValve doesn't have that. If I did decide to use it live, it would just be for EQ and effects for leads, meaning that I wouldn't have any particular need for scrolling through patches or making adjustments.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone
          Looks like I have some learning to do. My ART preamp and the Rocktron processor are both MIDI-capable. I don't necessarily need that for my intended purpose - studio use recording rhythm and lead tracks separately - but it seems like a waste NOT to use MIDI if the functionality is there. Although I must admit, I'm already close to getting overwhelmed with all the options I have.

My next question then would be this: for simply bypassing a MIDI device, is the G-Minor probably the smallest and easiest pedal out there? My preamp can be bypassed with a basic on/off footswitch via a 1/4" jack, but the MultiValve doesn't have that. If I did decide to use it live, it would just be for EQ and effects for leads, meaning that I wouldn't have any particular need for scrolling through patches or making adjustments.
          The Multivalve has to have a midi controllable bypass feature. If so.. you can assign the bypass to one of the switches on the G-Minor.
          I think the downside of the G-minor is 2 fold.
          1. It isn't battery operated
          2. The round design makes it hard to access the middle switch.
          The Tech 21 Midi-Mouse is a better design and its battery or AC.

Comment

inazone don't you have a X-15 ultra footpedal? That's what I'm using on my G-major and it works great! Run your midi in out and thru and it will change everything at once just the way you want.
            I know what you mean about the learning curve. It can be a pain programing everything.That's why for right now I turned the midi off in my MP-1 so it's just changing my G-major and I manually change my 2 basic sounds in the MP-1,clean or distortion.Needless to say I usually am running dist. and not switching to clean all that often
            Last edited by Outlander; 05-09-2006, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I've got an X-11 that I got free with my ART DST-4 preamp, but I just use a footswitch on the DST-4, so the X-11 is still in the box. Many possibilities exist, including having an all-rack rig for recording and a mixed pedal/rack live rig. If I find a nice compact (and simple) MIDI pedal for the MultiValve, I could scale down my enormous pedalboard.

To give you an idea of my current live rig, it goes like this...

Wireless receiver > tuner pedal > ART Xtreme (same distortion and effects as DST-4 rack pre) > ART Tube EQ half-rack > Rocktron HUSH II half-rack > Boss DD-2 delay ***ALL on pedalboard*** into Peavey Classic 60 tube power amp and Jackson 4x12 cab. The pedalboard is huge, but this setup has worked slick aside from hauling it around.

I could potentially change it to this:

Wireless receiver > tuner pedal > ART Xtreme > Rocktron MultiValve > amp and cab, with a MIDI pedal in there somewhere.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X