What's a good delay/echo unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good delay/echo unit?

I'm looking for something to run with my 5150 and BBE 422A (which I still haven't had a chance to hook up ). I had a Boss DD3 a while ago and liked it well enough. But it quit working after about a year or so. I'm wondering if it might be best to go with a pedal or rack unit. I like to have a little reverb and delay when I use my Flextone. And that's something I miss with my 5150. I don't use any other effects except for maybe a noise suppressor. Would a good multi-effects unit be the way to go? Or would a unit devoted to delay, echo, reverb, etc. be a better idea? Also, what brands and models do you guys have good experience with?

I PM'd you too. Here is my suggestion. If you only need delay and reverb then get a Boss DD-3 or 5 or even better an RV3 or 5.
    Unfortunately, if you need solo boost you will need another pedal unless you use both channels of the 5150 heavy. The BBE will tighten up the 5150.
    I have found that the 5150 works better with pedals in the loop than processors except for the G-Major.
    With a G-Major in the loop you will have:

The best studio effects on the planet!!!
    noise gate
    tuner
    solo boost
    parametric EQ
    The G-Major will channel switch your 5150 too!

Thats about everything a guitarist could ever need.

Comment

Seeing that you already have a rack unit (BBE422A) i'd go for a rack multiFX machine. I used to have a Marshall JFX-1 and really liked it a lot. Very good presets and very good analog sounding. I don't know its availability these days, nor the price.

The only thing i didn't like was it had an external 12V power adapter = amateur'ish.

<edit>: of course if you wanna spend a little more money i'd pretty much do what jg suggests.
      Last edited by jackson1; 05-04-2006, 11:43 AM.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Not sure about the DD-5, but the DD-2 and DD-3 run in front of the amp can essentially work as a volume boost. The "E. Level" control increases the volume of the delay effect, and if you don't have an extremely long delay, it will sound like the original signal being boosted. I run a DD-2 on my pedalboard as the final device before the amp, for a slight boost and echo during solos.
        sigpic

Comment

Lexicon, all day long

Comment

Cheap rack units can be had all day long. My favorites for the cash are:

Roland RSP 550 (Great delays, chorusing and tremolo,leslie)
            Digitech TSR24 (Great delays, chorusing)
            Intellifex (Again, delays and chorusing)
            Quadraverb ( Very cool unit)

For the price of a pedal you can grab any of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebbflow
              Cheap rack units can be had all day long. My favorites for the cash are:

Roland RSP 550 (Great delays, chorusing and tremolo,leslie)
              Digitech TSR24 (Great delays, chorusing)
              Intellifex (Again, delays and chorusing)
              Quadraverb ( Very cool unit)

For the price of a pedal you can grab any of these.
              All great suggestions but with only 1 problem...
              The Peavey 5150 doesn't react well to processors in the loop. It works much better with stomp boxes.

Comment

im using a 5150 with a BBE 422a and a G-Major,

COULDNT BE HAPPIER. Everything is outstanding. I cant figure out how to channel switch with the Gmajor/midi controller but i dont use the 1st channel on the 5150 anyway.

Comment

I used to use a Digidelay and really liked it. Then I got a Boss DD-20...very cool pedal. Extremely versatile. Can be used as a looper. Also, can be used as a chorus pedal.

Comment

Line6 Echo Park works great for me.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                      All great suggestions but with only 1 problem...
                      The Peavey 5150 doesn't react well to processors in the loop. It works much better with stomp boxes.
                      Gotcha. My 5150 Combo seemed to have decent loop but I've never tried the head version. For pedals I'll second the Digidelay and Echo Park!

Comment

Working...
                      X