Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss PW-10 V-Wah review

Thats right folks.. a modeling wah!!!
    Morley, Crybaby, Vox, Univibe, vocal, custom mode, double resonance (its a great model that sounds like the solo in Hemmorhage) and several Boss stomp boxes including the DOD 250 (called Booster).
    It takes 6 AA batteries or a power supply.
    Most of you know that although I suck at using a wah to its fullest potential.. ... I know a fair amount about what a good wah should sound like.
    OK... here is the review:

Build quality... This wah is built like a tank. It will last centuries. Boss equipment is all tough.
    Ease of use... it is similar to a traditional crybaby. Toe turns it on. The difference is that there is a switch on the heel that switches between the 3 completely programable and saveable patches.
    You can save different wah types and you can blend them with the built in stomp boxes. The stomp boxes include OD-1 OverDrive, OD-2 Turbo OverDrive, MT-2 Metal Zone¬, DS-1 Distortion, BD-2 Blues OverDrive, as well as "Muff Fuzz," "Guv Dist," and "Booster" modes.
    It also has a noise gate in it and a photo-optic switch for noiseless operation.
    According to Boss, the PW-1 has a true bypass. Hmm.... I question that statement because it does alter the tone of my amp when its turned off. I will look more into that and check back.
    How does it sound??
    The wah models are good. They all sound like the models they reflect.
    Are they the best wah's I have ever heard? Nope. BUT... you have the option of having several different wahs on the floor with 1 pedal. For me.. that is invaluable. I like the Crybaby for Zep, the Vox for SRV and the Morley for metal. Also.. for those of you that have never used a Univibe.. you should really check one out. Its an extremely cool effect. Think of it like a cross between a Leslie, Stereo Chorus and a Tremolo that you can vary the speed with the footpedal.
    The Vocal wah is almost good enough to do talk box type stuff with.
    You can build a preset based on a VOX with the pedal programmed for half way down and virtually no travel. This is a great preset for Schenker.
    The real beauty of this pedal is the ability to add a built in stomp box to a wah and save it as a preset. You can adjust the gain and level of each so blending is easy. Throwing a Booster (DOD250) on top of a Crybaby really sounds great. The benefit of this feature is you can dial is extra gain which really make the wah models sound thick and extremely full.
    Another interesting feature of this wah is how quiet it is.
    Morley's are pretty quiet, Crybaby's are notoriously noisy, so are Vox's, the Budda is great but also a little noisy. They all sometimes pick up radio signals if you have a ground issue somewhere.
    The Boss PW-10?? Dead silent. You can't even tell its on until you rock the pedal.
    Do I recommend it? It depends on what you need on the floor.
    If you need one wah sound... period.. go with either a Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah, a 535Q or a modded GCB-95B.
    If you are in a cover band and you do a variety of music then the PW-10 is a great choice.
    For the player who needs or wants the wah sounds of Hendrix, SRV, Page, Wylde and Schenker the PW-10 is a fantastic choice.
    For me, its all about choices. I needed a Univibe and I usually throw a Tube Screamer and a wah in front of my Soldano. Now I have 1 pedal that gives me all 3 plus much much more.
    The PW-10 is another great pedal from Boss.

What do one of those run?

Comment

Around $150.00 new but I think you can get them on Ebay for around $100.00
      Well worth the money I think.

Comment

I want it back now!

seriously though, I'm glad you like it. I just got the "Bad Horsie 2" (wednesday) I haven't had time to play with it much... but so far so good, I like it.

You can download the manual here...

http://bossus.com/index.asp?pg=111&tmp=12

If you need it.
        Last edited by semagic; 05-03-2006, 10:02 PM.
        Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
        Amp... Pioneer
        Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Originally posted by dk2magic
          I want it back now!

seriously though, I'm glad you like it. I just got the "Bad Horsie 2" (wednesday) I haven't had time to play with it much... but so far so good, I like it.

You can download the manual here...

http://bossus.com/index.asp?pg=111&tmp=12

If you need it.
          Thanks. I got the manual already. Let us know how you like the Bad Horsie 2.

Comment

Working...
          X