No announcement yet.

Pulling tubes - can you put it back in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling tubes - can you put it back in?

If I were to pull my set of 6l6s and swap in el34s (out of curiosity) and didn't like it, would I be able to use my old 6l6s or would I need to buy new ones?

I don't know if tubes are still good after being pulled

Yes, you're tubes will work fine as long as you didn't break them when you removed them. You may, however, need to adjust the bias.

Might be a dumb question, but you are using an amp that can run either tube type, right?

Comment

You better make sure your amp is built to run on EL34. When handeling power tubes try not to touch the glass with your hands. Use a rag or a sock. It can damage the tubes or shorten the life of them. You will have ti rebias the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Riscchip
        Yes, you're tubes will work fine as long as you didn't break them when you removed them. You may, however, need to adjust the bias.

Might be a dumb question, but you are using an amp that can run either tube type, right?

it's a 3 channel dual rectifier

it's got a switch on the back that you turn to either el34 or 6l6

I am not sure, but I think mesa builds their amps so that it's not necessary to bias it when a tube change.

so, could I buy some el34s and switch 'em for a night, and pop the 6l6s back in the next night (provided none of them break?)

Comment

Originally posted by Gio
          I am not sure, but I think mesa builds their amps so that it's not necessary to bias it when a tube change.

so, could I buy some el34s and switch 'em for a night, and pop the 6l6s back in the next night (provided none of them break?)
          If you use Mesa's own tubes, you probably won't have to rebias.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

:ROTF: GlowWorms

Comment

Mesa's have a fixed bias - it'd be pretty hard to bias a Dual Recto, unless I'm completely wrong.

Comment

Yeah, put the Mesa EL34s in, flip the switch accordingly, and if you dont like it put the 6L6s back in and flip the switch back. For the record, I like the EL34s better.

Comment

As mentioned above, your Boogie is indeed capable of running either EL34 or 6L6GC power tubes. It is a fixed bias amplifier with two bias settings...one for each power tube type. Provided you use Boogie tubes, the bias is guaranteed to be within an acceptable range in the chosen mode. There are also other places like Eurotubes or Tubestore.com where then can find other brands of tubes that will work within the bias ranges of your Boogie.

Comment

Originally posted by Riscchip
                    As mentioned above, your Boogie is indeed capable of running either EL34 or 6L6GC power tubes. It is a fixed bias amplifier with two bias settings...one for each power tube type. Provided you use Boogie tubes, the bias is guaranteed to be within an acceptable range in the chosen mode. There are also other places like Eurotubes or Tubestore.com where then can find other brands of tubes that will work within the bias ranges of your Boogie.

should I flip the switch over to el34 before putting the tube in (after pulling out the 6l6 of course)

or will it not matter b/c the amp will be off during tube change

Comment

It won't matter if the amp is off. It doesn't do anything mechanical with the tube sockets. Just make sure the switch is in the right spot before powering up.

Comment

Yea, but Boogies are always biased very cold. You can do it, but I would have a bais pot put in so you can bias it hotter. Its not to expensive to have that done. Mesa always biases cold because of the warranty on thier tubes. Makes them last longer, but makes the tone sound shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by finnman
                          :ROTF: GlowWorms
                          haha, I like having things that remind me of my childhood around

Comment

yea, we have all 30 of them here with there sleeping bags.
                            oh, my wife told me there called "Glow Bugs"

Comment

Originally posted by finnman
                              yea, we have all 30 of them here with there sleeping bags.
                              oh, my wife told me there called "Glow Bugs"
                              dude that owns, I only have 2 sleeping bag

Comment

Working...
                              X