BBE sonic and 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBE sonic and 5150

I've been hearing people (especially Bill Z bub) rave about how these two go so well together.
    Can someone please explain to me what the BBE 442 sonic Maximixer does to the sound of a 5150? does it work like a EQ in the loop or what?
    I'm seeing a bunch of these going for pretty cheap on EBay and I would grab one right now if I knew what the hell it was going to do for me.
    I run an MXR 10 EQ in the loop of my 5150 combo already, and that makes a huge difference. Is the BBE just going to do the same thing?
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

It makes everything tighter and heavier sounding. I do think that an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop will do basically the same thing if its dialed in correctly. The nice thing about the BBE is there are virtually no adjustments. Its basically plug and play. If you want you 5150 to sound heavier its a good choice.

Comment

I used both the 422a and the MXR 10 band at different times with my XXX. The BBE sounded awesome live, but I hated it recorded. The MRX sounded awesome live and recorded, but did take some tweaking. Now I'm happy with my sound live and recorded without using either, but that REALLY took some getting familiar with my amp. Really really familiar. Almost illegally familiar.

Not a 5150, but just thought I'd share...
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what it does. I've never used an eq in the loop of my 5150, but I have also never been able to mimic a BBE with and Eq.

I guess the best description of a BBE and a 5150 that I have heard is that it is like removing a blanket from your speakers. It seems to make your amp more defined and clearer.

I've got the 5150 with the 422a. Once I put the BBE in the loop it pretty clear that that I would never be bypassing it. Actually, once you do bypass it you'll surprised at the difference, almost wondering how did I do with out it.
        Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

I've been using a BBE for years. It really helps out Peavey 5150's (I & II) and is pretty useful on MBoogies (Recto's and Stilleto's). Although for some wierd reason it's not so much with most Marshall's I've had. The only one it really did something for is my JCM 800. DSL's, JCM Slash/Jubilee and TSL; nothing really. If your playing through a 5150, get it, really! It'll really open up your sound and give you the ability to shape your low and high pitches. I've never even come close to it with an eq.

Comment

I still say they are completely useless and that you can get better tone without one, and my clips should be proof enough that you can get good tone without one!

Comment

What clips?

Comment

Originally posted by HeWhoIs
                What clips?
                Yea, what he said!
                The BBE units are excellent additions to any setup.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

DSS3 has plenty of clips in the MP3 forum

See if this works

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/sear...?searchid=6448
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53938 one of DSS3's 5150 clips. Sounds great!!

Comment

I own a BBE sonic Maximizer and I use it in my effects loop.It's nice to round everything off, it adds brightness or Bass as needed. You can dial it in and clear up things. I like it.

I suggest you pick one up and take it home. It works best in the effects loop but if you have to use it in front of the amp, make it your last pedal before the amp.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3
                        I still say they are completely useless and that you can get better tone without one, and my clips should be proof enough that you can get good tone without one!
                        Yeah, as much as I liked the BBE 422a in my loop of the 5150s I played and felt they were a must have.

I HAVE TO SAY, your clips were seriously brutal, and I would give you the podium for advising someone on that ampt for sure. You sounded fucking sick man... Wow...

BUT, they were modded by Jerry werent they?

Comment

Thanks man, really appreciate that comming from you!

Actually, my first one was modded by Jerry, which was the Nevermore Engines Of Hate clip I posted a while back. That one right there was the new 5150 I just got in on Wednesday, the only mod it has is the bias mod done - the knob was mounted near the tubes, outside the chassis, and I have bias probes, so I biased it right at 35, where it should be. Even with the bias down where it was at factory, it still sounds killer, but I prefer the dynamics and feel of it with the bias upped. My FJA 5150 did sound killer, but it had been around the block a few times (bought it used, pre-modded from Guitar Center), and it had a bunch of little problems... intermittant popping, more hiss than it should, clean channel breaking up with single coils on the low gain input, the freaking faceplate falling off periodically, etc.

The comparison I can make, though, is that the stock (well, besides the bias mod) 5150 is more 'metal' compared to Jerry's, which for me, is a good thing. The difference isn't *HUGE*, to be perfectly honest, but it is noticeable. I'd suggest the FJA mod's for someone doing more rockish or lighter metal type stuff, but for the metal I do, I prefer the stock 5150 + the bias mod.

Comment

I was referring to an older clip I'd heard a couple 4-8 weeks ago, so it must have been the older unit. It was friggin brutal and I've never got a stock 5150 to sound quite like that. VERY Kataklysm, ashes and dust sounding. and THEY don't sound like that live, haha...

Comment

Hahaha yeah I know what you mean. I'm personally digging my newer clips a bit more, but the quality in general of the recording is better, so who knows.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53938

That's the newest one. Should be sounding a bit more Daylight Dies-ish.

Comment

Working...
                              X