Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

running a preamp to a poweramp.. what cables to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running a preamp to a poweramp.. what cables to use?

Quick question... Ya I know it is a dumb one but I can not remember for the life of me.

When running a preamp out to a poweramp in, what cables are you supposed to use? I know you should use speaker cables when running from the poweramp out to a cab and an instrument cable when connecting your guitar or whatever to the preamp input, but what do you use in the middle?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question ahead of time.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

instrument cable is fine.

Pete

Comment

Instrument cable.

Comment

crap... I just ordered two 25 ft speaker cables... uh.. should I be returning them?

Comment

really you guys use shielded instrument cables? I've used homemade speaker cables made from like 18 ga speaker wire with the belief that the shielded instrument cable offers to much resistance. I use Hosa as well.
          Last edited by charvelguy; 04-28-2006, 12:36 AM.

Comment

why are your preamp and poweramp 25ft from each other?

Might as well keep the cables, that way you can have your cabs pretty far away if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy
              really you guys use shielded instrument cables? I've used homemade speaker cables made from like 18 ga speaker wire with the belief that the shielded instrusment cable offers to much resistance. I use Hosa as well.
              I use all shielded instrument cables. Its braided shield, not foil.

Comment

My preamp is so far away because it is a pod xt live... Obviously I need it at my feet and I wanted to make sure I have more than enough length. I hate not having enough footage.

I guess I should ask, are there any downsides to using speaker cables instead of regular ones?

Comment

I've heard some pretty unfortunate sounds come out of amps that people haphazardly plug guitars into using speaker cables. Probably not a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                    I use all shielded instrument cables. Its braided shield, not foil.
                    ahh ok..I was thinking of the core foil.

Comment

Working...
                    X