OHM question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHM question

It's been ten years since I sold my 5150 & Mesa's so forgive me the simple question.

I got a line on a mesa single but the cabnet I have is 8 ohm stereo while the mesa single rec has two 4 ohm outs will I hurt the amp running into my 8ohm cab with the 4 ohm out.

I know with solid state this is not a problem I cant remember how it is with tube amps.

Thanks.

No you won't. As long as you don't go the other way which would be running a 4 ohm cabinet into an 8 ohm amp.
    Mesa's are very tough regarding impedance mismatches. The one you are talking about is actually a suggestion in most Mesa owners manuals.
    Bottom line... no problem. Go for it.

Comment

At first, I thought you were going to ask a question about Chris Poland's current fusion project.
      Last edited by fuel0707; 04-27-2006, 12:33 PM.
      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Thanks JG, thats what I thought.

LOL Fuel... I'm more of a Marty guy.

Comment

iirc the mesa has 2 4hom outs and 1 8ohm out, right? so connecting an 8ohm cab should be a breeze really...

edit: duh, i just noticed you said stereo.
          so, if i got you right you want to connect both 8 ohm inputs of the cab to both 4 ohm outputs on the recto, right?
          actually, that would NOT be a mismatch. i clearly remember the manual says that you should connect two 8 ohm cabs (which you're essentially doing, just that it's one cab split stereo) to both 4 ohm outs, putting an 4 ohm load on the outputs which is a perfect match.
          i dunno how this works, though. i think the 4 ohm outs are wired in parallel or something....so if you wanna connect one 4 ohm cab you'd use the 4 ohm output, and both 4 ohm outputs which is basically the same tap on the tranny but just split up for connecting 2 8ohm cabs.
          Last edited by Fragle; 04-27-2006, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Go to Mesa's website and download the manual for it. The newer Mesa manuals, like for the Recto's, have a whole section dedicated to different ways to run different ohm load speakers with your amp. It's extremely informative!

Comment

Working...
            X