No announcement yet.

I've had it with modellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They just do not sound good to me, and once you get a good sound for low volumes, you have to turn around and write a completely new patch for high volumes.
    YOu will have the same problem with a tube amps, maybe more. You don't even come close to getting the potential of a tube amps until you start driving the power tubes. You need to tweak at the volume you will be playing, period.

I like my Line6 gear because I can set one set of patchs for recording, one for bed room volume and another for live use. No need to re-tweak between each change of venue.

Comment

just buy a JSX and a couple of pedals.

Comment

GMS,

What rigs have you used in the past that you liked (or have you liked any?)?

I'm happy with Marshalls or Marshall style amps, having a Micro Stack for low volumes, and a DSL100 1/2 stack and a Laney AOR50 for louder situations. I do have a POD 2.3, but I'm lazy and haven't played with it except for once when I tried all of the settings. I think modelers make good practice rigs, but I just haven't spent enough time with them to see if I'd replace my tube amps with one. I'm not a tweaker, pedal guy, or effects kinda guy. When I feel like playing, I just plug into one of my amps and go.

Comment

what i like to do is treat it like the preamp of a tube head.

i start by selecting PWR Stack Rear for the output mode. line/amp switch set to line. (on a user setting like bank 20 something) i turn off everything but the amp model and reverb. start with an amp model i like in real life, and tweak the knobs till it sounds as good as it can. then i scroll over to the cab model section and try out different 4x12 sims and use the one that sounds best to my ears for that day. i like to keep the channel volume around 2 O'Clock so that its pushing the powersection but not blazing it.

now when you get to the semiparametric EQ and comp and gate and all the FX and shit, yes it can get overwhelming and confusing.

i don't need all that, just reverb and delay and a good high gain model and i'm good to go. and it keeps my lead guitarist and i sounding tight together.

but if its not for you, its not for you. get what makes ya happy and moves you to play.

carvin legacy and mts series might just fit your needs.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by thenine
            just buy a JSX and a couple of pedals.
            That sound familiar. Except I sold my Vetta and kept the XT

Pete

Comment

don- To be honest I have really only had experiences with a few amps.

1. Peavey Ultra head/cab. A friend of mine had one. Can not remember if it worked well for high gain metal but I think it sounded pretty good. I remember the peavey logo switched colors whenever you changed channels, which I thought I was pretty cool.

2. Randall Warhead- Had one for a while and never really knew what to do with it. I came to learn that it could have been really good for high gain stuff.

I am curious, how well would the peavey ultra head with a good cab sound? Does anyone have any experience with them.

Also, given my experience with Randall, I am considering the MTS rack unit with some of their high gain modules (ultra for example) I am not sure if this is another glorified modeler or if it really is more of a Randall thing. I could fill the rack up (I believe it is 4 spaces) in time and only get the ultra and maybe a clean module thrown in there.

Anyone have anything to say about the Peavey Ultra or the Randall MTS?

*edit, someone mentioned something about being more of a plug and play type of player. I am realizing that I am the same way. .
              Last edited by Thor Von Clemson; 04-26-2006, 12:38 PM.
              Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
              The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I actually love both of those amps. The MTS will give you more versitility, but the Ultra is still a kickass metal amp. I want mine back, but my friend likes it too much and won't sell it back to me
                But in regards to the Randall, all the preamps are voiced differently, so it's not just the same ol high gain tone tweaked differently. Try the 1086 module man, I used to love the Ultra, but the 1086 is now my favorite
                Last edited by IrfaanSE801; 04-26-2006, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I downloaded version three and some pretty sweet treadplate/dual recto petrucci metal and clean tones (I very much like his tone, so that is what i am going for). Around the same time, the poweramp I was using went on the fritz so I had to go back to studio direct into two powered monitors.. HOLY CRAP!.. this is exactly what I wanted for tone. Punchy, articulate, and warm.

Maybe it was an act of God with the poweramp taking a crap on me when it did. I like the way my xtl sounds direct so much better that through a guitar cab.

Now I just need to figure out how to re-create that EXACT same tone live but much louder (like what the new vetta software upgrade does... avoiding the fletcher-munson curve)

Maybe I should start a new thread....
                  Last edited by Thor Von Clemson; 04-26-2006, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Please do, I really wanna hear how this turns out dude. I liked the simplicity of that same setup, but I spoke with ya about what I didn't like about it. If it works, let me know.

Comment

I can tell you right now that I love the way it sounds through my monitors. I can hear a huge difference in the lack of noise that I get when I switch it from amp to direct.

Comment

I never once considered running it like that. I had my Randall 2x12 for my other Randall head, so I never bothered looking elsewhere to fix my tone. Good to know, I might grab another one anyway, it was great for recording for me too

Comment

Originally posted by gold moon soloist
                          I downloaded version three and some pretty sweet treadplate/dual recto petrucci metal and clean tones (I very much like his tone, so that is what i am going for). Around the same time, the poweramp I was using went on the fritz so I had to go back to studio direct into two powered monitors.. HOLY CRAP!.. this is exactly what I wanted for tone. Punchy, articulate, and warm.

Maybe it was an act of God with the poweramp taking a crap on me when it did. I like the way my xtl sounds direct so much better that through a guitar cab.

Now I just need to figure out how to re-create that EXACT same tone live but much louder (like what the new vetta software upgrade does... avoiding the fletcher-munson curve)

Maybe I should start a new thread....
                          Thats the best thing about the new Vetta 2.5 upgrade. You can get that killer studio powered monitor tone live. Its amazing. I couldn't believe my ears when I turned the amp way up. It didn't change. That killer great studio sound just got REALLY LOUD!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X