Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBE Sonic Maximizer I just picked it up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBE Sonic Maximizer I just picked it up.

Ok,
    so after reading so mauch about this sonic pedal, I just had to try it out. I went to Georges Music where they had one in stock( I called ahead) and sat down in front of a Fender Hot Rod tube amp. I used a Ibanez guitar which was ok but I wanted to hear what differences this pedal would have on this setup. I also added in a Boss Ce-5 chorus, a Line 6 Chorus and a Boss DD-6 to see how the effects would sound by adding in then taking away the BBE.
    Well I played the setup with nothing on except the amp, running pure clean with no reverb and got the rig to sound ok. A side not here the Hot rod series is no where near as good as the Twins. The sound quality is good but not in the same league. Same with the Ibanez I played. I was around 700.00 or so and I didn't get the model number. I looked like a PRS in clear wood grain with a Ibanez Floyd rose humbucker in the bridge and neck , single coil in the middle. Dark sounding in the neck position.

The BBE sonic stomp was impressive right away. it was like cleaning up the sound and shining it with a good wax. I was shocked the difference it made clean. I played around with the settings and found all kinds of different ways to set it up. Then I added in Chorus without the BBE on, then turned the BBE ona BAM!!!!! the chorus jumped out with alot of clarity. Ok thats really cool. Even the delay sound much more pronouned with the BBE on. When you turn it off, the entire system seems to fall off like someone just took a towel and wrapped the amp. Wierd.

As Impressed with it I was, I purchased it and took it home to try out on my gear. I own a Krank Revolution 1 2x12 combo, a Jackson SL3. Since the fender had no effects loop, I wanted to try it there after reading the so called manual. With it off, my amp sounded exactly how it did without it wired in, then I kicked on the BBE and again BAM!!!! like the old batman show , my amp came alive , this is the clean channel by the way which I have been alittle dissapointed in as it's very dark. After owning a Fender Twin amp, any amp is going to have a hard time Impressing me here. The Kranks cleans are the best in a high gain amp I have plaed but with the Sonic BBE in place in the effects loop, I got a wonderful full bodied tone I'm very happy with. My so called dark tone for cleans are now more manageable. This pedal actually had me changing the setting on my amp to a more suited sound for clean. I know that sound funny but yoou would have to hear it to understand what I'm talking about.

I'm fully impressed with this kind of pedal, and before you guys ask, I don't work for Krank or BBE. Being in here tells me thats coming for some reason or another. I'm just a 35 year old back playing dude who loves good tone.. My quest will never rest. Sometimes I'm more into my tone then actual playing. Same with the gear. I love it so much. This is a new toy that works. I remember reading in here that the BBE is a waste of time or not worth the asking price for what it does.... I disagree. I like it alot and can't wait to explore more effects and hear what I can pull off with it.

Cool stuff guys,

Dan

Did some further testing and came up some intresting results.

1) in the effects loop, it really helps out the drive channel. It also helps out the clean channel bt when you try to drive the clean channel with a distortion pedal, it's effects are minimal. Then put it in front of the Distortion pedal or last in your effects pedal chain and BAM the effect is all about it.

It seems placement of this pedal makes or breaks it.

Dan

Comment

Its funny, I got the Sonic Stomp too and I hate it. I think in the 4+ years Ive been buying stuff at the store I work at Im going to make my first return.

Comment

well, i always thought the BBE units were designed for high gain applications. i never thought that one could improve the clean tone by using one

Comment

Not all amps take to the BBE very well..My Uber hates the BBE..but My marshalls/5150 loved them...especially the 5150

The loop is where it must go..and yes if the amp likes the BBE it will help it all across the board clean or dirty..

I tried many BBE units..my faves are the 422 series..422 or 422a makes no difference..I didn't like the ones they made after that...way too much "sizzle" no matter how I tweaked it.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle
            well, i always thought the BBE units were designed for high gain applications. i never thought that one could improve the clean tone by using one
            Try or try not, there is no thinking about it

Dan

Comment

Just so you know Dan, we don't usually think someone's a company shill when they come in liking a product. The Krank amps have just not gotten that many good reviews, Krank HAS been known to send its shills onto forums in the past, and your writeups DO sound like sales pitches. So maybe you should get a job writing ad copy! But anyway, just explaining the background that leads to that impression. Other than that, no need to be jumpy about it, now you know why. Just relax and enjoy yourself here.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah, what else ya gonna sell us, salesman?
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

BBE's are a cool tool but they're NOT "one size fits all"

Some amps sounds straight up NASTY with them anywhere in signal path..like my Uberschall

Some amps take to them very well, especially rack set ups, 5150s and I even heard it enhance a Crate BV.

I'm not impressed with Kranks thus far..I seen Jeff Loomis over a dozen times with 5 different rigs and the Krank was by far the worst he sounded..his rythm tone was total Mud, at least his leads cut thru..and Jeff knows how to milk an amp..and if he can't get a Krank to kick ass..Then I'm definitely not sold!

I hate Rectos, But he sounded best when he used them..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

BTW, I'm ONLY partial to the discontinued 422 series Barcus Berry unit..period!

Comment

bill, jeff's using the sonic stomp with his kranks

Comment

Has anyone tried one of these through a Rectifier?

Comment

I've had a 442a for a long time, and my take is they might work good for clean and high-gain (where you want a tight clean power amp section) but for warm bluesy stuff, to me they seem to take the "warmth" out of it.

(1998) I bought an Awai home surround system, and it had the BBE circuit in there - once again for cleaning up the cleans.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
                            I've had a 442a for a long time, and my take is they might work good for clean and high-gain (where you want a tight clean power amp section) but for warm bluesy stuff, to me they seem to take the "warmth" out of it.

Yea +1. For the clean stuff and high crunch stuff they are great. I have the 442a in my rack and love it!

(1998) I bought an Awai home surround system, and it had the BBE circuit in there - once again for cleaning up the cleans.
                            Neat!
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I tried my 422a through my Triple Rectifier and it sucked, now my 5150 thats a different story. 5150 and 422 are like a match made in heaven.
                              Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Working...
                              X