Front Input vs Effects Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Input vs Effects Loop

What is the best way to run effects/distortion etc. Is there a method as to what to run where?

Thanks, bob

It comes down to the actual device as much as the type of effect. Most of my amps don't have effects loops, so I have to run everything in front. If I do have a loop, I will *try* putting EQ, delay and noise gate there. However, I've had very mixed results. For instance, I am a big fan of Boss DD-series delay pedals. I always found the DD-2 and DD-3 to sound great in front of the amp. The DD-3 died, so I replaced it with a DD-5, and it just doesn't sound right...so it will either go in the effects loop or eBay.

You really have to experiment if you're picky about getting the best results.
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, do some experimenting and see where your effects sound best. Depends on your effects and your amp. Usually effects like delay,flanger, phaser,chorus, etc are put in the effects loop and distortion,overdrive,wah,etc are run before the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr
        Yeah, do some experimenting and see where your effects sound best. Depends on your effects and your amp. Usually effects like delay,flanger, phaser,chorus, etc are put in the effects loop and distortion,overdrive,wah,etc are run before the amp.

My amp is a 3 channel Peavey Ultra all tube and I rely on it for the distortion. I've been running my GT6 processor in manual through the loop with effects only. I can turn on/off Delay, Chorus, Phase Shift etc. at will. I wanted a little dirtiness added to my sound so I bought a Digitech Hot Head pedal that I run with very little gain - just for some texture - in front of the amp.

I found that through the loop it didn't sound right. As the note would decay it would start to sound like something was interfering with it, like maybe my compressor. But in front it works just fine.

So, yea, it sounds like I'm right on with everything. I was just wondering if there was a Rule of thumb.

BTW: Anybody know if a Hot Head distortion pedal is analog or digital?

Comment

I run all my effects (rack) through my loop on my Rivera KR100! I can adjust input and output of my effects as well! Though I would only maybe run a chorus before my amp.
          I love admins!

Comment

I just got a Waller DFX65 combo with the decimator NR feature (very cool, by the way), and I've also got a Digitech RP80 that I'll be using for "color" effects: phase, wah, etc (the amp's gain is plenty). I'm trying to figure out the best way to run those things and also run "out" to a direct box, that runs to our mixer.

This is what I think we figured out:

Instrument to amp

Effects loop "send" to direct box "in"

direct box "return" to Digitech "input"

Digitech "out" to effects loop "return"

Does that seem right?

sounded okay at practice, but if there's a "better" chain, I'm all ears.

Comment

Working...
            X