Bass amp, power amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass amp, power amp question

I have a question, I have a Galien Krueger 800RB bass amp. Its a 400w monster of an amp. Super powerful, super quiet. Anyway, is there any difference between this amp and a 400w power amp? What if I wanted to run a live PA board using the 800RB to power it? Would it be the same as if I was using a traditional 400w power amp?

So are you talking about patching through the loop by just sending it to the return jack? If so I wouldn't see why you couldn't.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1
      So are you talking about patching through the loop by just sending it to the return jack? If so I wouldn't see why you couldn't.
      Yea Chris, I was thinking about using it just for power via the return jack and running the PA in mono which is pretty much what we always do anyway.

Comment

You should be golden then. You could even run the bass through the pre section out the send into the board and back into the power section for the entire board.
        We must!
        We must!
        We must increase the bust!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!
        The boys are counting on us!

Comment

John, I had that amp for quite some time..you wanna talk about it..OK..let me read exactly what your asking..

OK I read it..Your GK 800 RB..I used to always run Biamped..not bridged. There is a 300 wt low end section that drove my Harke 15 XL and a 100 wt high section amo that drove my 4-10" XL..

Both cabs were 8ohms..which abled me to run the amp at full power..at 4ohms there was NO volume /power loss whenever I switched it from biamp to bridge with the Harkes

Now I sold that amp back in 1989, so this is completely from memory..I'm sure full power was 4 ohms..check it to make sure of that..it was long ago..

My buddy used to borrow it without my permission for a PA amp..as long as the ohmage was set right there should be no probs at all..and it should work fine

I never used it personally as a PA amp..but I believe he ran it as Chris suggested..it basicaly bipassed the preamp section..that is what you want anywhoo..you would need to run it bridged as a PA for full output..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
          X