Modelers vs tube amps.. yeehaa!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modelers vs tube amps.. yeehaa!!!

I love these threads and it has been a while since we had a good debate.

I have had many different amps. Most of you guys know that. I currently switch between a Soldano and a Vetta for my live stuff.
    Line 6 has just released software version 2.5 for the Vetta. It addresses EVERYTHING that the tube snobs complained about, especially the Fletcher-Munson principle (basically, this meant that you needed to create your patches at the approximate volume level you would be using them at. For instance, if you set up your patches at bedroom level and you took the amp to the gig and turned it up you would notice a change in many parameters of the patch). The new upgrade allows you to turn the amp up and the patch doesn't change. It just gets louder. It also cuts through more because there is now a presence and loudness control.
    Anyway, IMHO..... a Vetta HD with version 2.5 software will compete in every category and any genre with 99% of the amps currently being used.

Bottom line.... software version 2.5 for the Vetta has just turned this amp into the perfect machine.

Other issues 2.5 addresses:
    Better tuner (it was already great) Now it is as good as a high end strobe.
    Several wah models (I know a fair amount about wahs, the Vetta now has possibly the best wahs I have ever heard, many are boutique)
    Better cabinet modeling (it was already great)
    Several new amp models including a high gain Marshall and the Soldano X88R preamp. They are amazing. The new Dumble is also incredible
    Loudness control
    Presence control
    Fletcher Munson principle is now addressed
    Better DI's
    Assignable 0-12db solo boost. Just dial up the patch, push the foot control button, dial in the amount of solo boost you want, assign it to a footswitch and save it. DONE!!!
    Ducking delay
    Whammy pedal!!!! Thats right!!!
    More output selections
    AND MORE!!!!

So... for my closing statement I will say to the jury this:
    The Vetta with version 2.5 software has just become the best truckload of tube amps and effect processors you have EVER heard.

In light of all the things I've heard about this amp, I'm seriously considering buying one. Jg, you have any online samples of you using your Vetta rig? I'm totally getting GAS.
    www.myspace.com/madeaband
    www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Also, I'd like to think this would be an industry standard by now, but is that amp true real-time switching?

Comment

I tell you what......Give me a friday nite at home, plug into the Vetta II, fire up that editor software, and I am in tone tweak heaven. To be able to take a 68' plexi and run it through about 25 different cabs.....

I own tube amps (Bogner,peavey classic,Triple Rec, ad nauseum) but for me, and particularly with the new tones and the way they took the harshness out, I am stuck in Vettaland for good.

Shawn
        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Damnit...ya keep dragging me back to the darkside John! I went out, bought an XTL last year, and because of those issues, I let it go. Now those issues are fixed...and I'm in need of an amp. I can't keep doing this, but the Vetta is the only amp I haven't tried yet too. One more thing to consider now...

Which cab are you using it with? And when are ya playing BB Kings, I'd like to hear it if your using it that night

Comment

Originally posted by tseegert
            Also, I'd like to think this would be an industry standard by now, but is that amp true real-time switching?
            I believe it is an industry standard. The only reasons that the Vetta isn't even more popular are:
            Cost. The Vetta 2 HD, Longboard (a must) and cabinets is a pretty expensive venture. You are talking about $3,000.00 new.

Comment

And BTW, mine goes through a Marshall 4x12 with 25w greenbacks..

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by IrfaanSE801
                Damnit...ya keep dragging me back to the darkside John! I went out, bought an XTL last year, and because of those issues, I let it go. Now those issues are fixed...and I'm in need of an amp. I can't keep doing this, but the Vetta is the only amp I haven't tried yet too. One more thing to consider now...

Which cab are you using it with? And when are ya playing BB Kings, I'd like to hear it if your using it that night
                I am using 2 Randall 2 x 12 slant cabs. 1 is open back with 300w Altec Lansing Whiteframes and the other is a closed back with Clestion Vin 30's. I run them stage left and right in true stereo.
                At BB Kings I most likely will be using the Soldano because we are only doing a few songs and I only need one sound. I hardly even need a clean channel. I am bringing both the Soldano and the Vetta for the sound check and I will let our sound engineer decide what amp is best for the room.

Comment

JCM800 lead with 75's .

I've heard the Vettas do better through the line 6 cabs due to the cabs having speakers designed for a flatter response
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday
                    JCM800 lead with 75's .

I've heard the Vettas do better through the line 6 cabs due to the cabs having speakers designed for a flatter response
                    I was having a discussion with Zach (GMS) about his XTL and it breaking up and changing at high volumes. He's actually thinking about grabbing another Line 6 cab to see how it responds. I think that might be the way to go with these kind of amps, but the response is still good with people using other speakers. I might try the Vetta and a L6 cab along with my Randall cab, I'm still deciding what to do ampwise since all I have is my RG150, which isn't very versitile, but has a kickass metal tone. Dosen't go well with the G&L though...so I might try L6 again with this new software upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                      I believe it is an industry standard. The only reasons that the Vetta isn't even more popular are:
                      Cost. The Vetta 2 HD, Longboard (a must) and cabinets is a pretty expensive venture. You are talking about $3,000.00 new.
                      I'm ok up to about 5k. I'm planning on getting a MF credit line, and maxing it out anyways. Why not, myself and the wife just bought a new house. You're not alive unless you feel the exhileration of being in debt up to your eyeballs!

Comment

You'de be better off to find a used Vetta 1 and upgrade the software ..they can be had much cheaper and other than the VDI there is NO difference from the 1 to the 2
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Has anyone tried the combo with an extension cab? I was thinking of running my combo to a 4x12 L6 cab. I think the closed back will give it a little tighter of a sound?

Comment

For me, the right tool for the right job.
                            When it needs to be loud, my Stiletto and MkIII cover every tone I need. When loud is bad - J Station.
                            Songwriting - Boss DR-880.

It's all good.
                            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by HeWhoIs
                              Has anyone tried the combo with an extension cab? I was thinking of running my combo to a 4x12 L6 cab. I think the closed back will give it a little tighter of a sound?
                              It will. The ultimate set up when using the combo is to get an extension 2 x 12 closed back cabinet. This way you have a blend of open and closed back. You can mix and match the amps and the cab models and route them or blend them between the open back combo and the closed back extension cabinet... IN TRUE STEREO!!!

The combo running a 4 x 12 closed back will sound awesome. Especially for a high gain tight sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X