Jackson made amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson made amps

I don't know if this has been "run" before (though I have to believe that it has - however - I ran a number of "searches" and came up with nothing), But does anyone know anything about those "Jackson Heads" or Jackson Amplifiers (I don't know if they made a combo too?) that show up on ebay every now and then?
    And what about those speaker cabs (red coned speakers and all)?
    Who made them?
    Does anyone have one?
    How are they as amplifiers...can you make a comparison to say a Marshall?
    What is "good" about them and what is "bad"?
    I would think that someone on this site must have one and still use it ?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by scaristei; 04-18-2006, 09:34 AM.

I don't know much about the amps, but I've got a pair of vertical 2x12s with the red speakers. Supposedly, the speakers were made by Eminence, but there's no markings on them. They also made them with black speakers.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had one of the 100 watt heads and it was very Marshall like tone wise.The chassis was well made and the wireing was hand done,a very nice head.They don't go for big bucks tho'.100 w = 250.00 50 w=200.00 Approx.I may be off a little because I have not been keeping an eye on amps lately.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The heads were made by Laney and were comparable to the AOR tube heads that they make.
        Thats what I was told anyway.

Comment

And Ive just bought an early 100w AOR head and its the fucking business. Im using a Line 6 Uber Metal distortion pedal and I cant help but smile everytime I play it. Then again I use a lot of gain and play in a thrash/melodic death/death metal band.

James

Comment

From what little info I've been able to gather, Jackson amps were built by a number of different companies in the short time they were available. Some were built in the US by Steve Mauriello (Chunky Amps), some were made in Korea, and presumably the Laney-made models were built in the UK. Some of the Jackson logo'd speakers were made by Eminence, and some of the combo amps had Celestion V30s in them. I have an Apogee 50 tube combo (Celestion) and 4x12 cab (Eminence), and am very happy with the quality.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
              I don't know much about the amps, but I've got a pair of vertical 2x12s with the red speakers. Supposedly, the speakers were made by Eminence, but there's no markings on them. They also made them with black speakers.
              Hey Toejam,
              It looks very cool....how does it sound?

Comment

Hey Stray Cat....What happened to your head? Do you still have it? Did you sell it and why?

Mr. White, How long have you had the head?....Where did you find it and how much did you pay?

Inazone, How can you tell the difference between the US, Korean and UK heads/amps?
                Also...I did not know that they also sold "combos"? Do you know how many models did they offer and do you know what they were?

Comment

They sound pretty good. A little on the bright side, but I like them overall.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I tried a Jackson 4x12 last year when I was shopping for my cab; it sounded really muddy and thin compared to the Marshalls and to the Soldano I eventually went with. The Jackson was $219, the Soldano $429.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                      They sound pretty good. A little on the bright side, but I like them overall.
                      Toejam,
                      When you say "bright", is that bright like a hiwatt can be bright....Or "bright" like a solidstate amp can sound bright......Or "bright" like a fender twin sounds bright?

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                        I tried a Jackson 4x12 last year when I was shopping for my cab; it sounded really muddy and thin compared to the Marshalls and to the Soldano I eventually went with. The Jackson was $219, the Soldano $429.
                        Say RacerX,
                        Did that Jackson cab have the "red speakers" or not? Or do you think the "muddiness" could have had to do with the baffeling? And what kind of head were you using?

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm IIRC they were the red ones...head was a Marshall, don't remember which but I tried to find one that was closest to mine (JCM800). It might have been a 900 or a 2000.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by scaristei
                            Inazone, How can you tell the difference between the US, Korean and UK heads/amps?
                            Also...I did not know that they also sold "combos"? Do you know how many models did they offer and do you know what they were?
                            The models I know of are the Reference head(s), JX-? preamp, Apogee 50 combo, a solid state power amp (forget the model), and some Charvel practice amps. As far as cabs, there were the vertical 2x12 and 4x12 cabs with red speakers, and the 4x12 with black speakers. That's all that *I* know of, and I'm assuming the various products say "Made in _____" on the back. I'm sure I missed a few.
                            sigpic

Comment

Ive had my Laney head for about 4 days haha. Its not a Laney Jackson one, just a Laney. I paid about $400 for the head and a 4x12".

James

Comment

Working...
                              X