Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall 18 watt pics - headshell is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 18 watt pics - headshell is here!

I think I'm about done tweaking the TMB channel, and I put a pull bright switch on the other channel and a few other mods. It gets a nice voxy chime for rhythms when at 4 and below, and gets to the zep/zztop territory when it gets louder. TMB does VH pretty well IMHO and also has enough gain for 70s-80s hard rock. Put a boost pedal on it and stand back.

Pete

Sweet!
    ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Man, that does look nice! Good work on it.

Comment

Thanks guys. A headshell sure looks nicer than a bare chassis, doesn't it?

Pete

Comment

That looks like a really top class job Pete. Well done.
          www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Looks cool and I like what you are saying about the tones. On the TMB channel, could you dial up the gain a little more or would it be too hard to do?
            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707
              Looks cool and I like what you are saying about the tones. On the TMB channel, could you dial up the gain a little more or would it be too hard to do?
              Really, it's pushing it as is with the gain levels. There aren't very many preamp tubes in the TMB channel, to give it much more gain would require adding a tube. It's not a mesa boogie - it's voiced more around a vintage marshall. However, the amp takes boost pedals really well. I've used Ibanez TS series pedals (stock and modded) boss super overdrives (stock and modded) and custom boost pedals with great success.

Pete

Comment

That amp looks and sounds awesome. Great job!

Comment

Great job Pete. It looks sweet. Are there plans to install a logo on it?

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell
                    That amp looks and sounds awesome. Great job!
                    +1!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                      Great job Pete. It looks sweet. Are there plans to install a logo on it?
                      If Pete doesn't, I certainly will. I have a couple of options. I could put a logo on it like the one on my Randall.

...or, I have a 3D Milwaukee logo that I got off a tool chest at work. It's red and white, but I can easily paint it. It would certainly look unique.

I suppose a Twisteramps logo would make the most sense though since Pete built it.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

There is a pretty cool article in this months Guitar World where they do a review of the 18 watt re-issues. There's a cool shot of the circuit board as well.

Looks great BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by 86mod5
                          There is a pretty cool article in this months Guitar World where they do a review of the 18 watt re-issues. There's a cool shot of the circuit board as well.

Looks great BTW.
                          Cut and pasted from guitarworld.com ...

BTW, read the next to the last line. Zeeg, my price just went up by $2600!

Pete
                          ================================================== ==
                          THE HIGH-POWERED, high-output Marshall stack will always remain the company's calling card, but savvy amp afficianados know that certain low-wattage Marshalls from the Sixties rate as some of the best-sounding amps the company ever made. Manufactured from 1966 to 1968, the model 1974 (1974 is the model number, not the year it was made) was an 18-watt 1x12 combo with tremolo. It just may be the holy grain of low-wattage Marshall combos, providing classic Marshall attitude and aggressive growl, but at lower volume, of course. The 1974's cosmetics are similar to those of the model 1962 "Bluesbreaker" 45-watt combo made famous by Eric Clapton, from the grey-and-white-striped grille cloth to the gold Marshall logo. Hence, it is often called the "mini Bluesbreaker," a distinction it earns for its looks and stallar tone.

Over the years, teh word about these mini brutes leaked out, and these days original 1974 combos sell for thousands of dollars, if you're lucky enough to find one. Fortunately, Marshall paid attention to the buzz and have added the 1974X model to its acclaimed line of handwired reissue amps. This is not a limited-edition reissue but a regular production model that will hopefully remain in Marshall's product line for a while.

List Price: $3,200.00; 1974CX 1x12 extension cabinet, $1,000

Comment

They wrote "teh word" ?
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                              They wrote "teh word" ?
                              Yup, that's what it says on their website. Wonder if that made it to press?

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X