Seeking advise: require sustain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fragle
    "Yes.. and of course you realize that he slaves 6-8 Marshall heads together all cranked to get that tone. He also uses a vintage DOD 250 in front of his Marshalls.

For sufficient sustain at bearable volume levels you really have to slam your preamp tubes in the mouth if your tube amp doesn't have enough gain on its own. An overdrive pedal or tube screamer is designed to do exactly that."
    yeah, he's a loud son of a beeatch when i saw him live in a small club (300 people max) he had 4 marshall (half)stacks on stage, all turned on. i dunno if he used them all at the same time, or if he had some kind of wet/dry setup for his echo etudes etc, but i can assure you one thing: it was LOUD.
    as for the DOD, he's using it because of his very weak pickups. apparently boosting a low level guitar signal sounds better to him than using hotter pickups in the first place....weirdo
    agreed

Comment

I thought the HS-3 and YJM pickups are fairly high output?

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy
        I thought the HS-3 and YJM pickups are fairly high output?
        Nope

Comment

How much gain, mids and volume do you run? You shouldn't need to put a pedal in front of a dual rectifier for sustain!

Pete

Comment

Try a violin

Comment

crank her up and she will sustain for ever

Comment

Just get a neckthrough Jackson!! Bolt ons are sustain killers!!
                I love admins!

Comment

Originally posted by sl2lover
                  Just get a neckthrough Jackson!! Bolt ons are sustain killers!!
                  Yeah, okay. You just keep thinking that about bolt-ons.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dead wrong about bolt-ons. I have a custom shop Jackson bolt-on that I guarantee you will sustain as long or longer than any neck through you can find.

There are a lot of factors determining sustain other than if the neck is a bolt-on or not.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Yeah, I don't understand that one. Any Recto has tons of sustain (and gain) for just about any application.

I use an overdrive with my single, only because I like the tighter tone I achieve that way. By itself though, the amp itself should be fine. Maybe you should look at the setup of your guitars. If it is buzzing, even slightly, you would be loosing some sustain there. Also, using high output passive pickups adjusted too close to the strings will kill ya too.

Comment

Try a Fatfinger and/or a brass nut, brass bridge, etc.
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[QUOTE=khabibissell]Yeah, I don't understand that one. Any Recto has tons of sustain (and gain) for just about any application.QUOTE]

Well my sl1 sustains longer then any bolt-on I've ever played, through a lot of different amps! But I will admit that I am partial to neck thru guitars though! Amps do have a some to do with it too!
                          I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                          X