Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Advice

Alright people.

Im going to have to get a head for gigging with (cant fit the combo in the car etc) and this summer Ive got some decent sized gigs lined up.
    My bands melodic death/thrash and I want a shitload of gain etc.

Ive been advised a number of different directions to take.

One guy (a professional sound engineer) has told me to buy a vintage valve head, with a lower wattage so itll always be driven like a bastard, and use my current distortion pedal (Line 6 Uber Metal) which Im perfectly happy with. However, Im not that desperate to get a valve amp, and this guy isnt really into metal, he mainly records sparse indie singer songwriter stuff.

Another guy has recommended a Line 6 rack unit and a decent poweramp. This guy listens to all the same bands as me, but Im hesitant to get a 'pretend amp'. And also Id be having to buy two things there and I cant be arsed.

If money wasnt an issue, Id get an ENGL. However, I only have about £200-£250 to spend ($350-$450) to spend, but please bear in mind the sheer expensiveness of second hand gear in the UK.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance

James
    Last edited by Mr White; 04-14-2006, 07:29 PM.

If you can't fit a combo in your car, how are you gonna fit a head and a cabinet?

Comment

I'd say peavey 5150 fits your bill perfectly, but even that's over budget.

I'm guessing a line 6 rack unit or a pod driven through some poweramp would yield good results.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Thanks GOR, although thats not the answer I wanted

JGCable - I was summarising. To explain it fully: I practice in my bass player's garage, about 30 miles from where I live (in the city centre) which is also where 90% of our gigs are. The combo lives at his house and I usually borrow/rent a head or combo to play with. Cabs are 99% always provided by the gig organisers.

James

Comment

"I'd say peavey 5150 fits your bill perfectly, but even that's over budget.

I'm guessing a line 6 rack unit or a pod driven through some poweramp would yield good results."
          that's exactly what i was thinking, too. mr white, you might now want to hear it, but with 450$ you are pretty much limited to either low budget solid state amps or modelers. i strongly recommend you stay away from solid state amps, they're fine for the chugga chugga stuff but not for thrash metal - been there done that.
          the only tube amp that would fit in your price range would be the peavey valve king, but i haven't played it yet so i can't tell you what it sounds like.

Comment

"head"..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I PMed you with a solution amongst a sea of others dude, I don't know if you got it. But if you really NEED a head, then you could find a Laney AOR head which is a JCM800 almost identical copy. They take pedal well and they have a decent clean tone with good headroom. They also have quite a lot of gain.

Comment

How about looking on ebay for a Laney Pro Tube head? they go pretty cheap on ebay.
                93 USA Soloist EDS
                USA HT6 Juggernaut
                Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Ada MP-1 w/ matching power amp. You would have tones of cool tones and it would be easy to transport. It is also in your budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr White
                    Thanks GOR, although thats not the answer I wanted

JGCable - I was summarising. To explain it fully: I practice in my bass player's garage, about 30 miles from where I live (in the city centre) which is also where 90% of our gigs are. The combo lives at his house and I usually borrow/rent a head or combo to play with. Cabs are 99% always provided by the gig organisers.

James
                    Ok.. I get it. What amp brands are available to you?

Comment

If you are going to use the pedal for your distortion I would also look at the older carvin x series heads, x100b or x60b. They have an insanely loud clean channel that doesn't break up and takes pedals quite well. The dirty channel is great but it's more of a rock sound like a jcm800 then probably the metal sound you want. They can easily be had for less then $450. One just sold local here for $260 a week or two ago. Very reliable heads with a VERY flexable active eq which could also help you shape the tones coming out of your pedals. I use a mt2 with my x100b for my metal sound.

Comment

Im thinking of getting a Laney AOR head as they seem cheap enough. Cant find any Carvins over here, dont think many reached these shores.

Cheers tho lads!!!

James

Comment

Im thinking of getting a Laney AOR head as they seem cheap enough. Cant find any Carvins over here, dont think many reached these shores.

Cheers tho lads!!!

James

Comment

Duuuuude did you get my darn PMs?

Comment

I did mate and I replied

Although Ive seen a cheap half stack near me (in England) so it looks like Ill be getting that hopefully!

Thanks though

James

Comment

Working...
                              X