Recommend me pickups for a SG-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me pickups for a SG-

-like guitar (it's actually a Guild S-100; but basically an SG: mahogany body, mahogany set-neck, 24.75" scale length, rosewood board, slightly thicker and heavier body than a SG, but not much)

Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum for this question, but it seemed like the most likely candidate. (I try to search too, but the search seems to be down at the moment?)

the 'extra switch' is evidently some sort of reverse polarity switch? (I have yet to pop open the control cavity, but as far as I can tell from hearing it's just wired to the bridge pup, and definetely changes _something_ although I'm not really sure what I'd use it for... I'm thinking of rewireing things and setting up as a coil tap for the neck pup for using with cleans)

It's currently got a duncan 59' in the neck and a JB in the bridge. I like the 59' alot; I can roll back the volume and it cleans up nicely but gets nice and raunchy when you turn it back up. The JB, on the other hand, I don't like much; just too much highs/upper mids for me (even in an all-mahogany guitar, evidently) and/or my amp (vht deliverance, which can be a very bright amp, not really so much in the treble as in the emphasis on upper mids)

I think I'm looking for something a bit less hot, and definetely with less treble/upper mids. Recommendations?

Hmm.. it looks like the 59' isn't splittable either? (just from looking online, like I said, I haven't actually opened up the control cavity yet; the guitar is at home and I'm bored at work Any suggestions for something similar (I do like the way it sounds) but splittable/tapable?
    Last edited by yabba; 04-04-2006, 06:47 PM.

Bridge - Custom Custom
    Neck - who cares.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Hmm.. looking at online descriptions of the custom custom, that sounds like it might be a perfect fit!

thinking maybe the duncan alnico II pro in the neck to pair with it..

Comment

I've got a set of nickel/chrome covered BB Pros that would look great in that!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nickel covered Gibson 498R and 500T or put a set of Tony Iommi signature pickups in it.

Comment

Bridge- Duncan Custom Custom
            Neck- Duncan Jazz

alnico II pro is a single coil...

Comment

Alnico II Pro isn't a single coil, Slash uses them in his Les Paul...I was gonna suggest the JB before I read all of your post, since that is what I use in my SG, but you might like the Pearly Gates, maybe a 59 in the bridge, or even a Gibson 57 Classic. I had Alnico II Pro's in my Heritage H150 when I bought it, I switched one out ot the Duncan Custom (bridge) and it was a great set up between the two. That's a cool guitar by the way...someone brought a really old Guild like that but with only one pickup into work the other day, I'd never seen one like it before.

Comment

I was gonna say JB/59, but I see you already have that.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X