Anyone use or try out a Vox ToneLab??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use or try out a Vox ToneLab??

I have been giving serious thoughts to picking up a Vox ToneLab. I have read alot of reviews about them, heard alot of clips, and I am very impressed. I want another modeler that does warmer cleans and semi-dirties than my V-Amp Pro. I don't know if the Vox can hang with the V-Amp for crushing distortion, but that is not what I am after anyway. I was curious to hear if anyone here has used one.

Thanks,

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

For warm and gainy AC30, AC15, Plexi, Dumble-esque, Bassman, etc......You cant top it. If they nailed better the super high gain stuff, it would be the ultimate modeler.

And the editing software is incredible as well.

Go for it!

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by scuba200ft@
      For warm and gainy AC30, AC15, Plexi, Dumble-esque, Bassman, etc......You cant top it. If they nailed better the super high gain stuff, it would be the ultimate modeler.

And the editing software is incredible as well.

Go for it!

Shawn
      Great, because I want that Dumble type singing tone.....that is what I am after.

I have heard some clips that guys on HC posted, and there are actually some very nice high gain clips. Not NuMetal style, but '80s and '90s can be covered. I also heard a clip with fuzz that pretty much sounded like Eric Johnson's fuzz tone.

OK, cool...I am going to get one.

Mike

Comment

I would've bought one over my Boss GT-8 becuase the tone was so much more realistic, but at the time i didn't have money to blow and the store credit I had, the place didn't carry them.

I would recomend it.

Comment

Yeah, the Tonelab does the mid-gain stuff extremely well. My only complaint about the Tonelab and Valvetronix amps is the quality. They definitely use cheap components. I used a Vox Valvetronix AD60-VTX for a few months at church and never had any problems with it, though.

Comment

I have one and not only is the best sounding modeller in my opinion but, you can also use it live thru a power amp and cab for better LIVE sounds than some tube amps
            Last edited by Robotechnology; 03-30-2006, 05:03 PM.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Helll yeah. I run mine through my old Fender bassman head and out through greenbacks, and it sounds killer.....

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I get great High gain sounds outta my tonelab SE using a tubescreamer in the insert. Whats great about the insert is that its a loop before the amp/cab.

I've had the GT-8, PODxt Live, and the tonelab.

The tonelab has something the others don't... its damn fun to play with and makes you want to pick up the guitar and play while the GT-8 made me want to put the guitar down and the POD is somewhere in between.

I honestly cannot believe there are members here that can find any use for a GT-8 as a pre-amp. I can see using it as straight effects. Anyone who thinks the Amps/Models sound good must be running the GT-8 through a $2500 power amp, which would make any modeler sound good.

The GT-8's models all sound the same to me... crap. And before anyone responds with the whole "you have to spend about a month to get good tone with it" disclaimer, let me tell ya I had it for a few months and if it takes that long to get a good sound out of it when are you supposed to be playing guitar?

Everything just sounds good on the Tonelab, its about as close as it gets.

It may just have the best chorus (the bi chorus) I've ever heard.

Anyone try the talk mod? Its cool as hell. Setup one of the Exp pedals to control the mod, and wham ya damn near got a Heil.

The tonelab puts the joy back in playing guitar that I hav'nt felt since I was 13 learning randy's solo's. Not to mention it's f'n easy to use.

I highly recomend the Tonelab SE. I should note that the desktop tonelab is a different animal and has less features and I've never played with one.

Comment

Its excellent..

Comment

I love my GT-8 (Thanks again, Shawn!). I got a great tone out of it in like a minute. I know Shane (Lou Siffer) also digs the GT-8 very much.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I owned the Vox Ad120VTx and loved it until It died. It left a very bad taste in my mouth. I returned it where I got it and picked up a Fender Twin. Then only after 2 weeks of owning it, hating on the drive channel, I'm returning it once My Krank Revolution 1 combo gets in.

The Vox Tonelab Se is very nice but I don't think you have enough contol over the effects. having all those channels at will is killer.

I'm in search of a multieffects processor but it has to sound great first then do all kinds of cool stuff 2nd. Im considering going back to single pedals for all my effects needs.

I read so much hating on the Boss GT8. I like Boss single and double pedals especially there Ce-20 chorus. That thing is awesome.

Dan

Comment

Well, I got one today. I was initially disappointed, but that lasted about...hmmm 20 minutes until I figured out that it sounds best using the line out setting, into the loop and that if you want decent tones, immediately go to MANUAL mode. I haven't even hit the tip of the iceburg, but I already dialed in a Soldano tone that is better to my ears to the Soldano tone that my V-Amp Pro produced...and that was a killer tone. So, I am happy so far and I am sure it will take me months to extract a full set of tones. Hell, I have been playing with the V-Amp for a year and I am still finding great tones in that!!

I think it would be cool to setup an A/B switching system with this and the Behringer into an Atomic Reactor....all bases covered.

Mike

Comment

Well, it just keeps on getting better....dialed in a pretty spot on "Women and Children First" era Van Halen tone today using the '68 Plexi model and a treble boost pedal model...with some tape echo and spring verb.

This thing rocks. I can't believe how warm and responsive this unit is. Even with the volume turned all the way up on the guitar, the gain maxed and a simulated pedal pushing the Plexi model...it is still completely responsive to pick attack and level. Now THAT is something amazing in a modeler.

Anyone thinking of a modeler..look no further than one of these. It kills my V-Amp Pro so badly it is not even worth discussing.

Mike

Comment

Congrads man. I'm glad your digging it.

All the flexibility is so cool. I wrote alot of my own patches but alot of the factory ones are very good.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mantis
                              Congrads man. I'm glad your digging it.

All the flexibility is so cool. I wrote alot of my own patches but alot of the factory ones are very good.

Dan
                              What kind of patches do you have??

From what I have seen...you usually need to reserve 3-4 hours of tweaking to find your tone.

I am always willing to cheat!! I don't have a MIDI connection though, so I can't download patches directly as of yet.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X