Epiphone Valve Junior Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Valve Junior Head

Anyone played one of these guys? 5 watt tube head for $99. Sounds like it might be really cool.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=482069

I played the combo version at GC a while back. I didn't crank it or anything. The knob or pot one felt loose on that one seemed kinda cheap. Clean sound to it, while playing a LP R8.

J.

Comment

I've been thinking about these a lot. I played the combo and it sounded good but had an annoying noise. The head is supposed to have that problem fixed. I would have purchased the combo on the spot if it didn't have that noise.

Comment

Wow, that is pretty damn cheap!

$99.00??

Well, it doesn't seem to have alot of features.....volume seems about the only knob on the sucker. So, you would need an EQ, and a cab...so it ends up being more like a $250 amp, but still...not bad.

I am curious to hear if anyone gets one of these.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I have only read good and great reviews for it. Seems like with an OD pedal and a nice cab it would scream.

Comment

None of the copy at MF says exactly what the tube complement is - anybody know? I'm gonna guess a couple of 12AX7s and a single EL84? I know, for $99 who cares? I just like to know these things.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I have one of these little combos I mess around with all the time. The only drawback has been the speaker. I'll bet this sounds great though a 4x12 like mine with greenbacks....

The other thing to remember is that its quite loud. 5 watts is a fair amount when run through a good speaker. Hell, I had one of those 1/2 watt nano amps, and that was fairly loud.

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

It's likely a single 12ax7 and a single output tube..maybe an el34, maybe a
                6V6. This sounds like how the Electar combo was when it came out... great amps for rock/blues.. replace the speaker with a Weber upgrade and it was a nice little amp.

this looks alot like the old champs..plug in, turn up the vol and go.
                Last edited by charvelguy; 03-31-2006, 02:47 PM.

Comment

It is an EL84, if its the same as my little combo.

Shawn
                  Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Eh, might as well save up and get a THD Univalve... more tonal control plus a built-in Hot Plate, and the ability to use any two preamp tubes with any power tube.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's true Toe, but shit, for $99 and you run an EQ pedal into it it would probably kick ass. That's what, 10% of a Univalve? If your budget is tight this would be pretty dang cool! Of course I think I'd just get a pair of Yellowjackets for my Peavey Triumph if I wanted low-power tube crunch. I'm pretty happy with its bedroom tones already though...
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I wish I could figure out how to slave it as a just a poweramp for modelers...but not using the preamp section.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                        X