Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone just running pedals into a power amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone just running pedals into a power amp?

I've done a lot of looking around, trying to figure out a way to downsize my live rig without sacrificing any of the functionality and convenience. I had intended to switch to a rack setup, but considering that I would still use at least a couple of footswitches and pedals, it ended up proving pointless. I've continued running things the way I always have: tuner pedal > preamp/multi-effects (for distortion and chorus) > parametric EQ > noise gate > delay pedal > amp clean channel.

My amp is a VTM-60 tube head, which is enormous. I'm really only using it as a power amp. I have two tube power amps, a Carvin T100 and a Peavey Classic 60, and the Carvin (being stereo) has replaced the Peavey for recording purposes. I'm considering using the Classic 60 as a replacement for the VTM-60, being about one-fourth the size and weight.

My pedalboard covers every function I've ever needed, so it's not like I'd be losing anything that *I* can think of. I can't think of any reason this wouldn't work - can you? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    sigpic

Re: Anyone just running pedals into a power amp?

It'll work fine. I've got a SansAmp Tri-AC pedal (three-channel programmable preamp) that I've run straight into and then out into a Carvin DCM150 power amp to either one or two cabs. If I want effects, I just put them after the preamp pedal.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

As long as you feed a line level signal into the power amp, it'll work. When I had my Randall head and then got an MP-1, I ended up only using the power amp section of the head then.
      Just a guitar player...

Comment

I bought a 1959 JCM800. Yes a 4 input non-master volume 800. It is the sickest head Ive tried for pedals. At anything less than house levelling volumes it is clean. A very nice clean. I run all my pedals into the front with the channels jumpered. It is absolutely killer. Very clear tone with tons of bottom end. Will not hide mistakes. Maybe that is an option for you?

Comment

Kinda off-topic, but why is nearly every power amp 2-channel? Why do they assume that every person who wants a power amp wants that? I assume it's related to stereo rack effects? Kinda annoying. That's what's nice about using a head as a power amp.....ya only have one channel to worry about.

Comment

I used the Classic 60 power amp in place of my VTM-60 head at band practice on Thursday. I played through my usual practice setup (ART Xtreme, Boss DD-3) and the Classic 60 was PERFECT. The head will be staying in the studio and the power amp will move to the live rig.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I love my Xtreme! It is really a cool-sounding easy-to-use unit. I use Scream if I'm using my Carvin head and want a 3rd channel, and Xtreme if I just want to go into the clean channel at low sensitivity input.
              Some of the preset delays are pretty cool for soloing, too. You can't tweak it much, but you can very quickly dial up a great ound and get to playing! A lot of people will go WTF is THAT? when they hear what it'll do and how small it is.

Sorry, I always do this when this pedal is mentioned, but I think it's a great little secret weapon!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad
                Kinda off-topic, but why is nearly every power amp 2-channel? Why do they assume that every person who wants a power amp wants that? I assume it's related to stereo rack effects? Kinda annoying. That's what's nice about using a head as a power amp.....ya only have one channel to worry about.
                Well, most people want their PAs in stereo, so when rack gear for guitarists appeared, most of it was also stereo, so it was natural to run 2 cabs and get the enhanced stereo effects. Also, many power amps do have a bridge function so you can combine both channels for more power in mono.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat
                  Sorry, I always do this when this pedal is mentioned, but I think it's a great little secret weapon!
                  The Xtreme is worthy of any and all praise it gets, because it's really a great pedal. I've played every live show and recorded every note in the studio with mine. Next time I record, it'll be with a DST-4, which is essentially a rackmount Xtreme, or more specifically Xtreme Plus. That's the whole reason I bought a rack power amp in the first place - to use with the ART preamp. However, I ended up buying a Carvin for the studio (stereo) and will use the Peavey (mono) for gigs.

I picked up a banged up 3-space "shallow" rack case for the Classic 60 yesterday, and will try it out at our next show.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X