Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rething my gear! (a lot of problems)

Alright here's the rig for now:

Guitar => modded Vox V847 wah => Boss SD1 => POD 2.0 with floorboard => effects return of Laney AOR 30 combo.

The problems are:
    The combo is way too big for my room and way too loud (all tube 30W... friggin' humongous amp!)
    I have no money so I NEED to sell my amp, but I can't get more than around 150 pounds for it.
    I LOVE tube so much I'm convinced a 15W tube amp would be great for me.

So... I'm a bit lost as to what to do right now. I can't seem to be able to sell the amp as it's hard as fuck for me to ship it (student and poor...)

It's a bit of a vague thread I know, but I ran out of options that my demented mind could come up with. So I'd take any advise, any hint, it can only help from here.
    I do have some money on the side but I NEED to sell my big amp first... It's what I do after that's the problem.
    So what rig for a hardcore bedroom player? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I'm basically just looking at what I could do with the money from everything. I could get maybe about 250 pounds out of everything I have saved up once the amp is sold.

Re: Rething my gear! (a lot of problems)

Its not a vague question but you need to know a few things regarding tube amps.

30 watts of all tube power is LOUD
    15 watts of all tube power is LOUD
    5 watts of all tube power is LOUD

You will notice VERY little difference in volume between a 30w and a 15w tube amp.

If you are running a wah through an SD-1 through a POD into your Laney I can pretty much gaurantee you that you aren't really loving or hearing a tube amp. You are hearing a modeler being powered by tubes. At bedroom levels with that rig you could run an SS modeler and it would sound exactly the same to your ears.
    If you want a nice light combo for bedroom use you should look at the Roland Cube 30.
    If you want to power your POD with a combo you should look at the Galien Krueger ML250 combo. It tiny, powerful and very rugged. It sounds so good you'll probably stop using the POD.
    I use a Carvin X60 1 x 12 combo. Its fantastic. No loop though.
    If I were you I would ditch everything and just get a small 1 x 12 modeler like a Spyder or Flextone or a Cube 30. The Tech 21 Trademark series is really good too.

Comment

Oh I know about the loudness. 300W is only twice louder than 30W. But a 15W tube amp is 3 times smaller than my huge Laney. It's the only factor so far. The Laney LC15 which I am eyeing sounds VERY tube even at low volume. The AOR I have now, not so much unfortunately. Size is mostly the factor now.
      And if I get a tube amp I won't be running the POD through it all the time don't worry, I'm not that cold [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It'd be just to have a nice combo in case I'd need to gig for instance.
      And yeah I see your points but... I hate the Spider IIs, and I'd also need a controller for them. The Flextones are good but way too expensive, and with a cube I'd have no way of controlling everything with my foot as I can now. Basically, the POD + SD1 + floorboard stay for now, it's the basis of all my sounds.
      I'll check out for the Gallien Krueger... I've never seen any around though, I'll check ebay.
      Also, Europe = no Carvin. Stupid OCean.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Oh I know about the loudness. 300W is only twice louder than 30W. But a 15W tube amp is 3 times smaller than my huge Laney. It's the only factor so far. The Laney LC15 which I am eyeing sounds VERY tube even at low volume. The AOR I have now, not so much unfortunately. Size is mostly the factor now.
        And if I get a tube amp I won't be running the POD through it all the time don't worry, I'm not that cold [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It'd be just to have a nice combo in case I'd need to gig for instance.
        And yeah I see your points but... I hate the Spider IIs, and I'd also need a controller for them. The Flextones are good but way too expensive, and with a cube I'd have no way of controlling everything with my foot as I can now. Basically, the POD + SD1 + floorboard stay for now, it's the basis of all my sounds.
        I'll check out for the Gallien Krueger... I've never seen any around though, I'll check ebay.
        Also, Europe = no Carvin. Stupid OCean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to beat a dead horse but just keep in mind that you really aren't hearing your tube amp if you have a POD plugged into it. You are hearing a modeler.
        Regarding portability, the Mesa Boogie Studio .22 is pretty light. Crate Vintage Club 30 is also light.

Comment

I can find a studio .22 for under 400 dollars you think? I've always seen them go for over 1,000 usually... I'll check on the crate one.
          And yeah I know what you mean. What I meant is, I'll use the POD in through the amp, but also the amp (if I get tube). I just love the tube sound, but the POD obviously has all the more options and versatility. Furthermore, I started drummer and I love having a floorboard to play around with [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

If you are playing with a drummer, as soon as you sell the AOR30 and buy something smaller and less loud, you'll be crying that the thing can't keep up with the drummer.

I suggest you keep the AOR30 since you can't sell it for enough to buy a right sized tube amp, and just deal with it. If the size or loadness is an issue for the bedroom, get a cheap transistor amp for the bedroom. Or try headphones out of the POD.

A Studio .22 is smaller and lighter than the AOR, but $400 is the cheapest you might find one here in the US, and I'd rather have the + with the built in EQ.

Comment

I AM the drummer [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Damn if it's 400 in the US at its cheapest, that means AT LEAST 600 in Europe. Way out of my league.
              I don't have any plans to play in a band as a guitarist anytime soon.
              The studio .22 is an amp or a poweramp..? I'll do some researches on it.
              There's no way I can even keep the AOR. I'm going back on Campus next year and I'll have even less room than here. I'll definitely need the space. That's the main problem right now, my stuff is too damn big.
              Off to ebay now to check on things. Thanks!

Ah yeah there's one on the British ebay. 450 pounds Buy it Now. That's about...750 bucks I think. These are way out of my league..
              I think I'll have to go with a CHEAP 1X12 and a poweramp. But I may not even have enough for that... meh.

Comment

Yep - the Studio .22 is a small combo amp.

Here's something for you to check - look for a Kalamazoo Model 12. 12 watts, tube, not to heavy, reverb and tremelo with a footswitch. I bought one a Guitar Center for $200, but that was pretty cheap. But, you never know, you might find one below $300 USD.

It's a pretty clean amp - no dirt unless you hit the front end with pedals or a high output pickup. With my 500T loaded LP, I get a good AC/DC tone. With a TS-10, I can get a good Lynch tone with my Screamin' Demon loaded axe.

It's clean enough so that you can plug the POD right into the front end and use it as a power amp.

In the same lines, look for other 1960's tube amps. Do a search on 'tube' in the amp section, sort by lowest price first. Hopefully you'll find some deals.

The thing is, you don't need a modern amp for the distortion and gain structure if all you are doing is making your POD loud. In fact, getting some descent PC speakers with a subwoofer might be a good idea. I have one of those Soundblaster Live!'s where you can plug a 1/4" jack into the PC.

Comment

I have very good CD speakers right now. But I often play with my music so I can't also use them for the guitar. I'd also need a poweramp I think...
                  I think I'll just wait until I sell the Laney and see what options are open for me. Until then, it'll be the trustee headphones [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] thanks guys! I'm still open to any suggestions by the way.

Comment

Have you considered an Atomic amp? They are expressly designed to act as a poweramp/speaker combo backend for use with a modeler. I've been considering whether to get one myself.

Comment

I run my Boss GT-6 through an Akai mini system. It sounds fantastic for home jamming. Talk about portable!!

Comment

Working...
                      X