question about rectifier amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about rectifier amps

I searched but could not find this info, so, in the spirit of no question is a dumb question, which is what I tell all my staff,
    why are rectifier amps called that?
    is it just Mesa?
    since rectifying means correcting something, what in the amp tone is being corrected?

I need to learn... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Re: question about rectifier amps

Just a name, good name not much else.

Each amp is using rectifiers (diodes or tubes) within the power supplies to get the DC current out of AC wall power. The process is called rectification, subsequently the electronic device is called rectifier.

You get or don't get a choice of solid state rectifiers (diodes) and tube-based rectifiers in different amp models. Solid state is faster, more powerfull and more efficient circuitry. To my ears gives you more modern (I dare to say better) sound, punchier more power. Elaaborately and 'properly' designed tube rectifier sometimes allows you to get the vintage 'sag' of the power section, but too many conditions need to be met: power, performance match of the rectifier, playing volume etc. Some like the sag, good for more vintage-oriented sounds.

Comment

The Dual Rectifier is called that because it in fact has two rectifier tubes, the Triple has three, Single has one, etc.

Comment

Nope, the Single has NO Rectifier tubes, one of the reasons I think it sounds a bit better than the others.

Comment

Rectifier tubes are also known as Big Bottle tubes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
            ? I guess it depends on which rectifier tube you are talking about. a 5Y3 isn't a big bottle, but I do have some cool "coke bottle" rectifier tubes.

I don't understand why Mesa thought this was a good idea, other than it being a marketing tool.

It seems like a waste to use multiple rectifier tubes in these days of solid state rectifiers. The reason (in the old days) for mutliple rectifier tubes was to achive a solid state type of performance. The reason for using a tube rectifier today is for sag and singing sustain as descuessed already.

You are defeating the purpose (tone) of a tube rectifier by using mutliple tubes, and you are increasing cost and reliability issues.

Not the first time I've seen questionable design ideas from Mesa. The idea of packing 100 watts in a tube combo with the tube hanging upside down exposed to the sound wave wasn't too smart either.

Comment

I get a good kick out of every time I get told "Mesas sound better because they have Rectifiers" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And I've been told it several times. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                ? I guess it depends on which rectifier tube you are talking about. a 5Y3 isn't a big bottle, but I do have some cool "coke bottle" rectifier tubes.

I don't understand why Mesa thought this was a good idea, other than it being a marketing tool.

It seems like a waste to use multiple rectifier tubes in these days of solid state rectifiers. The reason (in the old days) for mutliple rectifier tubes was to achive a solid state type of performance. The reason for using a tube rectifier today is for sag and singing sustain as descuessed already.

You are defeating the purpose (tone) of a tube rectifier by using mutliple tubes, and you are increasing cost and reliability issues.

Not the first time I've seen questionable design ideas from Mesa. The idea of packing 100 watts in a tube combo with the tube hanging upside down exposed to the sound wave wasn't too smart either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the Dual Rectifier 1st came out (my best friend has a 1st year model that was ordered from the original run) we always referred to his rectifier tubes as big bottle tubes. They are HUGE. I just assumed that all Mesa Rectifier tubes would be huge big bottle tubes.
                He hasn't even turned the amp on since he got his Vetta II HD almost 2 years ago.

Comment

"big bottle" is commonly used to describe any tube with just that, a bigger glass "bottle" when comparing them to another smaller tube. either with different tube types (EL34s vs EL84s) or more similar tubes (ie, the EH6CA7 is a "big bottle" EL34)

Comment

so it appears that "rectifier" is just a marketing name and the larger tube is not actually rectifying anything in the signal or output?
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      so it appears that "rectifier" is just a marketing name and the larger tube is not actually rectifying anything in the signal or output?

[/ QUOTE ]
                      no, the larger tube works in the power section of the amp where it 'rectifies' the AC power into DC, which is what the amp needs

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The Dual Rectifier is called that because it in fact has two rectifier tubes, the Triple has three, Single has one, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was called a Dual Rectifier because it has two selectable rectifiers....tube or solid state. I talked with somebody at Mesa years ago and asked them about the rectifier tubes when the amp is in solid state mode....they said they are pretty much "dormant" when using the solid state rectifier.

Comment

yes the tubes are dormant when in solid state mode, actualy you do not even have to have them in the amp if you are using the solid state rec's.

Comment

someone explain to me why they sound so good [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Now I'm hearing two different storys. Boxcar Willie 84 says they are "Dual Rectifier" because they have have multiple rectifier tubes, Chad and Todd are saying it's because you can switch between tube and solid state rectifiers (more useful IMO).

Knowing Todd is an amp whore - I'll believe him [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sorry Boxcar Willie 84. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X