Telefunken 12ax7a's damn......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telefunken 12ax7a's damn......

So.... I have been having issues with the phase inverter tube on my 1989 Marshall 3203 Artist. Fett.. who is da man btw... sends me 2 Telefunken 12AX7a's. I happen to have my Carvin X60 1 x 12 Combo out on my bench. It takes 2 EL34's and 2 12AX7a's and has a 75w Celestion in it. It is fully tubed and bias'd with Ruby's and it sounds fantastic. I use it for my SRV and Eric Johnson studies. Anyway.. just for the heck of it I throw the Telefunkens in the Carvin to see what all the hoopla is about.
    Now I know.
    The amp now has considerably less gain but it is so much more toneful and musical. For blues and classic rock I really can't imagine getting a better tone than what I have now. I threw my TS9DX in front of it and it sounds so much better.
    The Telefunkens made an already nice amp sound downright boutique. I am pretty blown away by the difference 2 preamp tubes could make. This is the most dramatic change in tone I have ever experienced swapping tubes.
    Its now officially a blues/classic rock machine and the clean channel is as boutique as it gets.
    The Ruby preamp tubes that were in it gave it much more gain bordering on an early 80's metal tone with the gain dimed. It sounded good but not nearly as good as it sounds now.
    Whats up with Telefunken preamp tubes? How could 2 preamp tubes change an amp so drastically?
Working...
X