Boss DD-2 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss DD-2 review

I have had just about every Boss pedal. Vintage and modern. Modded and stock.
    The DD-2 Digital Delay is Boss's first try going from analog to Digital delay. It came out in 1984. The thing people like so much about analog delay is its warmth. Digital sounds.. well... digital. Its too precise.
    The DD-2 is a pleasant surprise. It is unquestionably the most analog sounding digital delay I have ever heard.
    You can get up to 800ms worth of it too! That is WAY more than the old analog delays. Increased delay time is the main reason pedals went from analog to digital.
    I always wondered why these vintage Japanese DD-2's sold for so much on Ebay. Now I know why. This is a very warm and natural sounding delay. It reminds me of Alex Lifesons delay in 2112. Its almost Roland Space Echo warm.
    Also.... because it is so warm it can actually be used in front of an amp for those of you without effects loops.
    There is even a slight grit and tonal variation between the original note and the delayed notes. Thats COOL with a capital C.
    Its an extremely good delay pedal. Check one out. Great investment too considering what they are currently selling for!

Re: Boss DD-2 review

I bought a DD-2 used in 1992, and still have it. I actually "upgraded" to a DD-3 for my live rig, but I wore it out and am back to using the DD-2. I run it in front of the amp, and find that it gives me enough of a volume boost that I don't need a volume or EQ pedal for leads.

I just picked up a DD-5 but haven't messed with it. I know they don't have the same warmth, but I'll give it a shot.
    sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I bought a DD-2 used in 1992, and still have it. I actually "upgraded" to a DD-3 for my live rig, but I wore it out and am back to using the DD-2. I run it in front of the amp, and find that it gives me enough of a volume boost that I don't need a volume or EQ pedal for leads.

I just picked up a DD-5 but haven't messed with it. I know they don't have the same warmth, but I'll give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The DD-5 is the best "studio quality" delay in stomp box form that I have ever owned. It has a ton of features. It is fairly hard to dial it in when put in front of an amp because it is very sensitive but it sounds fantastic. You could actually use it in a recording studio. Its that clean.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The DD-5 is the best "studio quality" delay in stomp box form that I have ever owned. It has a ton of features. It is fairly hard to dial it in when put in front of an amp because it is very sensitive but it sounds fantastic. You could actually use it in a recording studio. Its that clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good news for me then, as I actually need a good delay to use with my rack rig. My ART DST-4 preamp has some beautiful reverbs and delays, but I lose a little bit of volume when I engage the effects. I'm not using MIDI, so I could get away with just a preamp footswitch and the DD-5. I'll keep using the DD-2 for my "in front" delay/boost at gigs.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X