Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refound enjoyment of my Dual Rectifier (long)....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refound enjoyment of my Dual Rectifier (long)....

I've had my 2 channel 100 watt Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier head since January 1998. I bought it used in pristine condition. The former owner had it a couple weeks, then decided to upgrade to a Triple Rectifier. Mesa told me that it was built sometime in mid-1997. Anyway...

I was never totally convinced about this amp despite the huge number of pros who use the amp. It always had a jagged, buzzy sound that drove me crazy and seemed to get worse as the volume is increased. I tried different power tubes, but still wasn't 100% happy. I've kept the amp because I couldn't come to grips with the fact that many pros love'em but my ears didn't. I've come close to selling it several times, but never did. I was recently pretty much totally convinced that I would sell it, but decided to read some reviews about the amp as I hadn't done that in a long time. Reviews strongly mentioned downloading the owner's manual from Mesa Boogie's website.

Here's what is funny. During the first several years this amp was in production, Mesa really never made a proper manual for it. They had this 3 page summary paper that looked like it was written on a typewriter. It even has several spelling and grammatical errors. The first line in it is something like "this amp doesn't really NEED an owner's manual...just plug in, tweak, and enjoy". That's the only manual I had for the amp until a few days ago. At some point Mesa decided to actually make a proper manual....the one I recently downloaded. The interesting thing is that I feel Mesa Boogie made a poor assessment when they assumed that owner's "don't need a manual". The way the controls work on the Rectifier amps...I feel they VERY MUCH need a manual to explain how it all fits together. In fact, much more than other amps that DO come with detailed owner's manuals.

So anyway, I read and tweaked. I tried some settings recommended in the manual and I'm liking what I hear. I've been into effects for awhile and when I plugged into the DR, I had my pedal chain in front of the amp input. While playing, for good measure, I kicked on my Ibanez TS-9 (modded to 808 specs by AnalogMan) as I have grown to love that pedal as a clean boost (gain and tone at zero and level at somewhere around 3 o'clock to max). What's awesome is the TS-9 really smoothes out the jagged edges. After 8 years of ownership I'm hearing the best sounds I've ever heard out of the amp!!!! I like!

I'm glad I didn't sell it.....I'm gonna keep it for a long while. And I'm gonna get some new tubes to play around with to see if I can get it dialed in even better.

Short form of this post: if you have a Dual Rectifier and hate it, then READ THE *proper* MANUAL all the way through to get an understanding of its design. That should help out. If you still don't like it, then try an overdrive pedal in front. You may be surprised at what you hear. If that doesn't work, then you probably genuinely don't like the amp and should look at something else.

Re: Refound enjoyment of my Dual Rectifier (long).

Yessss! Tubescreamer + Recto = OMFG.

Comment

I am liking mine better with the mids between 1-3 oclock (3channel) with is different from what I had my marshalls-Channel 1 I use pushed at various settings-good pristine clean aint gonna happen with my amp -

Also 6l6s with diodes and fullpower is the only way I ever play it. I am liking it more than I ever had-Some guys say el34s tight them up but I think its just an illusion because of the mid accentuation of el34s and you can tighted the amp up turning up the mids-also I use my channel volumes low and crank the master

I have been wondering about a tubescreamer or something in front though for a while

Comment

I sold my triple 2 channel a couple years ago to a buddy of mine and i wish i would have kept it. what a great amp. I love my triamp but i do miss my triple.

don't get a tuber screamer. get a maxon 808. much better than the ibanez.

Comment

I was just cleaning out my closet and found my old TS10 with the 808 mod already in it. I may have to put a new battery clip in there and play around with it again. I forgot I even had it.

Don

Comment

I use a Japan Boss SD-1 with my Tremoverb. It is great. Can't live without it now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Short form of this post: if you have a Dual Rectifier and hate it, then READ THE *proper* MANUAL all the way through to get an understanding of its design. That should help out. If you still don't like it, then try an overdrive pedal in front. You may be surprised at what you hear. If that doesn't work, then you probably genuinely don't like the amp and should look at something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

A-men. I know many people who were Recto-haters who's opinion changes when they play through one that's been properly "dialed in". If you're used to Marshalls, especially, it's totally anti-intuitive.
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't find Recto's THAT hard to dial in? I have my bass at 11:30, mids at 10, highs at 11, presence at 11-12, and It didn't take me long at all to dial in.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Am I the only one who doesn't find Recto's THAT hard to dial in? I have my bass at 11:30, mids at 10, highs at 11, presence at 11-12, and It didn't take me long at all to dial in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I basicaly used the same, bass 11, mids 12 and treble between 11 and 2 depending on situation. No presense.

Comment

I require a 3 channel dual recto [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the "totally different settings" category, mine's 9:00 bass, 10:00 mid, 2:00 treble, with presence at about 10:00. I like it bright. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

However, I really didn't have any trouble "dialing it in", since I already had a rough idea of what to do. If you walk up to it from the school of "crank the gain, treble, and bass, and leave the mids on zero", it will sound like, well, ass.

(You have no idea how many times I've seen a Recto set something similar to that right before I hear "what's the big deal about Rectos, anyway? This one sucks...".)

Comment

That's how I used to set them up, and that's why I bought a 5150 before a Recto LOL.

Comment

I thought you didn't find Rectos hard to dial in?

Comment

Not after the initial learning curve, not at all.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              That's how I used to set them up, and that's why I bought a 5150 before a Recto LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh - with the 7 string and a JB - and Celestion 85s - if I run any more bass than that, I get mush - even if I crank the mids. I can run more mids, but I don't really need to...

Comment

Working...
                              X