Help deciding on a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help deciding on a new amp

Alright well my current amp sucks. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions as to what to look for. I was thinking of getting a line 6 combo but I read some really bad reviews of them. I play blues, classic rock and some metal. Think AC/DC, Van Halen and MegaDeth. I dont want to spend more than $600 if possible, any suggestions?

Re: Help deciding on a new amp

Playing out or playing at home?

Home, you might just (I can't believe I'm saying this) enjoy the Line 6.

Playing out is another concept.

Comment

Well I want something loud enough for band practice, but that I can also use in my room. I would like a tube amp, but I guess if a SS sounds decent, its fine.

Comment

Generally, at low volumes, the Line 6 combo thing will certainly shine. At high volumes the Tube amps will be probably a lot better sounding...

But, for under 6 bills, it gets hard and the line 6 combo is certainly in that area. Not really all so great for jammin with a band unless you go with a more expensive Line 6 HD147 and a cab. Not sure whatthey cost, but that a lot more.

I prefer tubes myself for loud stuff, and would try to go a bit more than 600, and seek a used 5150 for 450-500 and a used Marshall cab for 300 and you'd be in the house for most of that material and able to be at gig volume and they still sound great at low volume.

Comment

I wonder how decent a low watt tube fender would be? I currently have a 100 watt fender SS, maybe I could use that as a cab for a while if I were to buy a 5150 head or something. If I can find something that absolutly meets my needs, I can spend maybe around $900.

Comment

See if you can find a nice old Laney AOR combo. All tube, cheap, loud, sound good.

Comment

PV 5150

Comment

Used Crate BV120, sounds good at both low and high volumes.

Comment

Nice thread title. There are some great threads in the Search with exactly that title. Good Luck, newbie! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My friend's Line 6 sounded pretty good distorted. Then again, I haven't heard it on any other settings other than full gain. Still, it was real quiet when you mute the strings with your hand, no feedback. The downside for me was it was too freakin' confusing though I didn't really mess around with it. I don't like the metal knobs on them, kinda hard to see what number it's on.
                    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      See if you can find a nice old Laney AOR combo. All tube, cheap, loud, sound good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I have an AOR 50 Combo, it's a sealed back 1x12 so it has more thump than an open back. But, it's HEAVY! If you don't already know, Laney's are a Marshall copy with an extra tube (hot-rodded).

Comment

Working...
                      X