Anyone used a H&K Edition Blue 60R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used a H&K Edition Blue 60R?

Hüghes & Kettner Blue Edition 60R combo...

I have an opportiunity to buy this amp used (minty), and I'm wondering if any of you guys have tried it - and if so, what you think of it. It's been so long since I played any new amps, so "ampwise" I'm kinda lost in the jungle. This thing is a 60W solid state combo, so I thought it would be good for both bedroom playing and for jamming.

I tried it out for a bit today (at rather low volumes, since the seller had sleeping children on the floor above). I was using my 750XL and a borrowed Ibanez with DiMarzio pups. My initial reaction was that it sounded very "tubey", although it's all solid state. The sound is actually a little peculiar to my ears - very round, with a distinctive hump somewhere in the mid register. I can't remember having played an amp that sounded quite like it. The harmonics in particular had a totally different ring to them than what I'm used to. If my old Marshall Valvestate head sounded like Slayer, this had more of a "Dimebag" sound to it. I kinda liked what I heard, but I'm thinking it would take some time getting used to. I tried dialling in some old-school Metallica sounds, but the peculiar sound wouldn't quite let me nail it (the Valvestate used to do that easilly).

Anyway, I'm able to get a fairly good deal on it, so it's very tempting...but I also have some other holes I could put the money into, so I thought I'd ask around for some opinions here first. =)
Working...
X