Rocktron Prophesy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocktron Prophesy

Has anyone played one before? I was thinking about getting one, but I'm not completly sure. I'd have to get it online... we don't have them out east here. So I figured I'd ask some JCF'ers how it stacks up to other preamps.

Thanks!

Re: Rocktron Prophesy

I have been using one for 4 years by now. Loving it. I'm not sure how to compare it against other preamps though.... I can just describe it shorlty:
    - has 4 voicings, british and mega being shredders dreams
    - has enough (and I mean it - more than you need) gain
    - very clear, acritulate, fast
    - tweaking is not neceserily exactly simple, but with any kind of effort - it is really rich
    - and.... I'm keeping it, possibly forever [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (I also have VHT 50CL, TSL, Mark IV). It is different from either one of these, but it is in the same league.

I had a chance to compare it to the Boss GT-8 recently, and I have to say that to my ears the Prophecy is a better souding preamp: warmer, has its own voice (it is not a modeling preamp) and just exciting to play through. Or, I dont mention line6, it is a different beast, more comparable with the GT-8 but I will not go there.

So to sum it up - it is not going anywhere from my playroom anytime soon.

Comment

Ah, addition: the FX portion of this unit is unquestionable, great quality reverbs, delays etc.

Comment

another addition: I don't use it through the guitar amps, just would not suggest to go this route. It is setup to go via active studio monitors via mixing console - I think this is the ideal application of this box. Very good and complete sound.

Comment

So you're saying not to run it though a poweramp - cab? I was thinking about using it as a preamp in a rackmount system.

Just wondering, does it actually sound like the demo on the rocktron site? (The backing sounds could easily mask defects)

Thanks alot

Comment

It is primarily designed to run in a guitar rig, using a dedicated power amp. I assuming he means not to run it into the front end of a typical guitar head.

It can be ran as he said into a mixing board as well. Though I doubt that is what they were shooting for in making the unit.

That said, it is a nice unit. Not my cup of tea I couldn't get the one I tried to be brutal enough for my needs), but many like them and they are reasonably well made. At least the older US ones are.

Comment

I've had a couple of them, and they're decent preamps, but there's almost too much too tweak on them. Pre, post and regular EQ and a lot of other parameters. Once you get a good sound dialed in though, they sound really good, and the FX are outstanding.

They don't sound good in the front of an amp, but they do sound good in the return of an FX loop of an amp.

Personally, I prefer the Piranha and an intellifex better though.

Comment

"So you're saying not to run it though a poweramp - cab? I was thinking about using it as a preamp in a rackmount system."
                Yes, a good power amp like monoblock Marshall, or Mesa 20/20, or VHT or anything you like will work well with Prophecy.
                As I say, i did not have a chance to compare it to ther pres too much (Ada MP-1 possibly only), but it compared favorably to anything I owned to date. Yes again, it sounded different enough.
                As for the sample on the website - I actually think that though it is not a bad one, in reality Prophecy sounds even better than on that clip. As you can see I like it.

Comment

"but there's almost too much too tweak on them"
                  Well, I think this thing can be plug and play, if you're ok with the stock presets (many of them are entirely usable out of the box, and I still use some of them). But if you want to go beyond - yes, you would need to get serious. The interface could be more modern (or better software front end could be offered), but if you get through to the bottom of it, you can get a lot out of it. I admit - I'm may be 25% deep there and it is enough for me to get what I need. I just know that there is more below. So yes, this is a valid comment about the complexity.

Comment

Can't be harder to tweak then the Pod XT/Vetta's can it? I'm really sick of messing around with my Pod XT Live and finding 50 000 terrible sounds for every half decent one...The Rocktron preamps sound like they might do what I want a bit better, something that just has it's own sound and does it well instead of half assing a Diezel or a Bogner...

Comment

Now I just need to find a good deal on one, I seen one going on ebay with a rack+powersupply for $600, but I didn't bid on it.

Just wondering, Akoch, what are you running it though anyway? (Guitar/Pickups - Pedels - Amp type of thing)

Comment

Oh, and thanks alot everyone. None of the other boards I've ever asked this on has given me good feedback.

Comment

what I can say for certain Freyr, is that it will not sound like line6. Prophecy is an entirely different animal.

For Prophecy my setup is this: Ibanez or Jackson guitars (tonezone, airnorton, paf pro, EMG 81/85/89) into Prophecy into (via mixing console) Dynaudio BM-15A monitors. But as I say, for live work you probably will like to run it through a good stereo power amp (I would suggest tube one for this for sure). Both active and passive pickups work well, with my personal preference towards passive ones but a tiny bit. Both have its strenghts.

Oh, I wanted to add that I'm using Intellifex with the other gear as well, and to me both Prophecy and Intellifex have same quality FXs while Prophecy being a bit more powerfull (double the DSP power).

Comment

Excellent, thanks alot man!

Comment

I have one and it sounds SUPER! I run it through a Mesa 50/50 Power amp and 2 Marshall 1936 cabs in stereo. The pre-amps I had purchased before buying the Prophesy were a Mesa Triaxis, Marshall JMP-1, Rocktron Piranha (also very good) ADA MP-1 and a Line 6 POD XT-PRO (sounds like crap for live use)

The versatility of the Prophesy is unreal which is what I was looking for and super easy to use and has the tube sound. I use it with the All Access Midi controller which can turn on or off up to 8 effects and also has 2 controller inputs which you can assign any effect or effect parameter to them for real time control or volume, wah etc...The list goes on. It's packed with great features.

[ QUOTE ]
                              Has anyone played one before? I was thinking about getting one, but I'm not completly sure. I'd have to get it online... we don't have them out east here. So I figured I'd ask some JCF'ers how it stacks up to other preamps.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

Working...
                              X