16ohm amp > 4 ohm cab, did i hurt it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16ohm amp > 4 ohm cab, did i hurt it?

ok, today i was moving my amp out of the way to get to something behind it, and i noticed that the switch was on 16omhs, but i have a 4 ohm cabinet. normally im not a retard. i have no idea how it got on 16ohms, but apparently its been there for some time now. ive never noticed the amp (a 5150 btw) operating funny, and it sounds as good as it ever has. have i damaged anything internally by doing this? i feel like such an idiot

Re: 16ohm amp > 4 ohm cab, did i hurt it?

Yes you could have and maybe did. Think of it this way you are 3/4 the way to a dead short . You were pushing the amp 4x harder than if it was conected to a 16 omh cab.

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You certainly could have messed something up but you got lucky.

Comment

seems like you indeed got lucky. a guy i know used to run his marshall at 4 ohms using two 4 ohm 412 cabs for like 1 year or so, without any problems. if the marshall can take a beating like that, the 5150 should as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

i feel bad. haha. which part of the amp did i hurt by doing this? the power supply?

Comment

if it still sounds good you're probably ok. If you would have dimed it up you would of had some problems
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i feel bad. haha. which part of the amp did i hurt by doing this? the power supply?

[/ QUOTE ]
              If it doesn't smell and it didn't smoke, you didn't do anything to it but if you want to know, it would be your transformer that would have went. It didn't, so you are cool.

Comment

are transformers expensive to replace? (just curious)

Comment

Yes they are!

Comment

pretty much the most expensive pieces in the amp

Comment

Couldn't hurt to have it looked at, could it? I mean a $1k head for a couple of bucks to have a tech look at it?

Comment

On a side note, but still in the same vain. I am running an 8 0hm cab and a 16 ohm cab, is this possible and what ohm setting do I out it on. I have had no trouble and I have it set on 8 ohms for now. Thanks-Jack.

Comment

If you have a 4 ohm position set it to that you are probably running 6 ohms. The 8 omh cab should be a little louder.

Comment

Working...
                          X