pick up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick up question

I have stock seymours in my SL1 and WR1 and I've never adjusted them.I would like to know if you have them raised closer to the strings or closer to the body.Which is better for metal,detuned guitars,etc..And the reason(s) why either is better!
    Thanks!!
    P.S. I a triple xxx half stack and xxx 1-12 combo.(If that helps any)

Re: pick up question

Experiment and see what sounds better to you. Though, if you've got them too close, the magnet may pull the strings out of tune and you could get intonation or sustain problems.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

First off. Are the pickup spring loaded? I found out that all the single pups on my Charvels (and I would guess Jacksons) have foam for the lift and screws that attach the pup to the body. That means unless you have a brand new guitar, the foam has been crushed and won't work as an adjustment for height. The pups should be about 3/8 to 1/4 of an inch from the strings. Here is a tip. I have a 199- Predator that had the pups more than 1/2in away from the strings. Buy a 1/2 in dia med rubber tube and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the pup and put the rubber down there. It works like a champ.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

This has been debated for a long time. Its better to just use your ears. It took me a long time to get my hotrails at just the right height. Like toejam said you have to be careful about magnetic string pull though.

Comment

Check the Dimarzio site. They say if the pups too close to strings you hear a worbling (varying pitch sound) in your wound strings. caused by too much magnet pull. I've read many articles on the web 'bout adjusting pups but only this Dimarzio site states this. It worked for me. Just get the warbling sound and back off a bit from there and adjust to taste.

Comment

Working...
          X