Marshall mode 4 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall mode 4 review

HELL NO I didn't buy one! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The band we opened for on friday used one. We did ok I guess, and they ended up having to open for us the next night, but I digress.

Anyways, other band's guitarist had a Mode4 and a matching cab. Sounded like crap. Was real fizzy on the high end, and just had no clarity at all. It just sounded like AM radio hash. It was one of the worst guitar tones I think I've ever heard... very bad.

Wasn't the soundman's fault either, because he's one of the better ones in the Tulsa area... and my JSX sounded amazing. Had compliments all night, including from a buddy who went to LA and has some professional endorsements.

Pete

Re: Marshall mode 4 review

oh yeah, i'm sure you tweaked the shit out of it.... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

was it the gear that was crappy or the guy playin it? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I wouldn't expect much out of one of those either, but to be fair, maybe the guy just had no clue about getting a decent sound.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I've never heard a live tone that bad... just fuzzy indistinct shit. No comment on the guy playing it. All of the tones on that amp were pretty bad, even the cleans. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I have played through these at Guitar Center, thought they sucked then too. I had an old valvestate 8100 that shits all over these things imho.

Pete

Comment

just to clarify this, i'm not a big fan of the M4 i played once either, just like you said, the 8100 kicks the crap out of it (and i don't even like the old valvestates!). on the other hand, judging an amp just by hearing some random hack playing it live isn't exactly fair. imho a halfway decent player can make almost anything sound halfway decent....of course, a 15w peavey will always sound like a 15w peavey = POS, but then again the mode four should be in a totally different league than that.

Comment

I don't see how a player is going to get clarity out of something that has so much breakup that you can barely discern individual notes. Sure, the player has something to do with it, but you can't compensate for everything.

Pete

Comment

I have heard some pretty terrible tones out of some great amps. I won't pass judgement until I twist the knobs myself or I hear from someone who has who I know is on the same page with me.

Comment

Please note - I mentioned earlier in the thread that I have played through one before, and still didn't like it. I was hoping maybe hearing it at gig levels with a great soundman running the board would make a difference. Nope.

Comment

actually, when it comes to solid state marshalls, particulary the valvestate series, i always liked them way better at low volumes. they just seem to loose "that" thing before hitting gig volume - otherwise i'd prolly use one [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] the former guitar player of my band used to use an 8100, and i definitely liked it at low volumes, tight and brutal metal sound reminiscent of later death, but live it always fell short, especially in comparison to the other dude's 100w all tube marshall. seems like the same thing is true for the mode four, despite of the ridiculous 300w rating.

Comment

So Pete, are you saying the Mode 4 is no good them? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Ahhh, the Commode For...

Bleh...

Comment

I'm saying if I had a choice between a mode 4 and a krankenstein at a gig, I'd plug my guitar directly into the PA and try to overdrive the internal preamp on the board. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

That amp is pure 100% shit IMO!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I tried a Mode 4 once last year and it was truly the biggest let down ever. I kept switching guitars but, it didn't matter. Now THAT sounded like a distortion pedal through a home sterio. I was emberessed playing it...I kept turning it down when people would walk by. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Working...
                              X