what Gear to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what Gear to get

Please help, I'm just picking up the guitar again after 13 or so years. I seemed to have missed alot gear-wise. Need opinions on updating effects gear. I hear good things about TC g major. what about BBE Sonic Maximizers, Vox Tonelab, Digitech gnx etc etc.
    Currently I use a Rockman Sustainer Preamp, wah, sometimes a Roland DEP5(mostly for delay) into a Fender Vibrolux Reverb. I play mostly at home and jam with buds sometimes. No more gigging for me.
    I play shred style sounds 80 % of the time but like to uplay all different types of sounds and music.
    Thanx

Re: what Gear to get

Line 6 Pod XT's are good imo. I tried to use my friend's GNX4 and it was too complicated for me at least. I'm guessing it's really useful if you can figure it all out.
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Yep. If I was gear-less in the situation you describe, I'd get a Line 6 Pod XT Live.

Comment

I still say Boss GT8....very simple, very straighforward, you dont have to pay to download sound packs, the stuff you tweak the most is right out front and labeled. No folders and sub folders just to change an EQ setting or reverb setting....just twist a freaking knob.-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations the Boss demos on their website got some pretty good raunch sounds, Other types of good sounds at Line6 demo, I'll check out more tomorrow

Comment

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you and just got the pod xt. The only amp I have anymore is a half stack and I can't really use it when I have time to play plus it's a hassle to lug it over to friends houses just to jam. I got the pod to play at home with headphones and the tones are just amazing, there was nothing like this on the market back when I was playing. I don't know anything about the competing products because I liked it when I was trying it out so just bought it.

Using the controls on the unit it's very easy to tweak things. The software to download other peoples patches is pretty nice also and there are a ton of them out there. I haven't purchased any of the addons because I've been happy with it so far. Now I just take my guitar and the pod over to their houses and just plug it into somebodies spare combo and it sounds pretty cool. I see why these things are so popular. I use about 6 different tones on it, all completely different that I would never be able to get with one amp. Some aren't 100% but for what I was looking for it's perfect.

I ended up trading my pod xt for the pod xt live after reading the manual. The live version has an amp/cab bypass setting so if I want to use it as effects only with my half stack I can. Since I don't have many effects this was a big selling point. Now basically for $100 more I have a compressor, noise gate, overdrive, wah, eq, reverb, and chorus to use on any amp. You might be able to do that with the normal xt but I couldn't figure it out so took it back and exchanged it for the live and am totally happy with it.

I think there are a few products out there like this so try a few and see what you think, but be sure to try the pod.

Comment

Maxboost, I am kinda in the same situation as you right now. I am trying to decide if I should go with something like the Live or maybe a Flextone III. Right now I just use an old Rage 158 and a Genesis 3 for noodling. I have a MGDFX 100 and have only put about 4 hours of use on it in 3 years. I thought the Live had some volume/patch issues when it first came out, or was that just operator error?
              Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I still say Boss GT8

[/ QUOTE ]
                Me too!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I haven't had any volume/patch issues with my pod live so far. I've had it about 6 weeks I think and I've already upgraded the firmware/drivers twice so they are active in the developement and improvement of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X