are Kranks any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: are Kranks any good?

How many kids out there are saying "i want a krank" just because they see an ad with THEIR guitar hero on it?
    i have played one and i did not like it at all. very mushy, and i don't like our sound mushy.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

"How many Krank bashers have actually played one?"

me, me!!!
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I have to wonder that if Jeff Loomis can't get one to sound good live, can I?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          How many Krank bashers have actually played one? Probably very few. It's just band wagon jumping as far as I'm concerned. I will reserve any judgement until I get to try one for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I've never played one but I've certainly seen a million and one people bashing them thats for damn sure [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think part of th eproblem is when they first came out they made a bunch of fake reviews on the HC and that rubbed a bunch of people hte wrong way. It wouldn't matter if they did have a good amp, their rep is tarnished
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            "Thanks, man. Now I know they're evil shitty pieces of overpriced crap imo."
            and here we go again....another krank basher who hasn't even played one [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
            i have not been able to play one (yet), so i won't say it sucks or it kills. however, i've heared god forbid playing krankenstein heads when they played here a few weeks ago, and they sounded better (imho) than the rectifier/5150 combo god dethroned had on stage before them. and i don't even like god forbid. furthermore, andy sneap is getting kickass results, especially when blending the revolution with a rectifier, for example latest nevermore and arch enemy

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a krankenstein and matching cab at the OKC guitar center - it was a piece. of. shit.

Going by who uses amps means nothing, if they are endorsed, imho - they are either getting paid to play them and/or their amps are modded most likely. Regarding Sneap's clips - a good engineer/producer can make damn near anything sound good.

Who knows, you may dig the Krank sound. But the one I played through was the worst amp for the money I have *ever* played. Ever.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Thirdly it is very popular to bash Kraps, I want to be popular [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I know when I talked to Smyth about it when Nevermore played here, he liked some features of the amp, but mainly he talked about it from an endorsers point of view, i.e. how quick they could get something done for him when they were going on tour. He didn't say, but I got the impression that he didn't particularly like the idea of recording with it.

They did sound pretty decent when they played here, but their guitar tone certainly didn't make me go "wow, I need one of those"...
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I think Krank's marketing is pretty good - they have these in the hands of a LOT of endorsers. However, play through the things! Here are a few highlights of my encounter with the Krankenstein:

Clean channel - was ok. Not great. I've heard worse, I've heard a whole lot better. I didn't A/B, but this is from memory... I'd say it's comparable to the clean tone on a Marshall 2210. Useable, but that's about it. Drown it in chorus and reverb.

Lead channel - when you 'kranked' it, would self oscillate even with the guitar volume all the way off. *!* Lots of nasty sounding distortion when you dime the gains - pull it back and it had a very thin, harsh tone. I didn't just use 'guitar center' settings - I also tried with all the tone controls at noon, and went from there.

If you ran the gain way low, hit it with a boost pedal and cranked the master, it *might* do ok. However, why the hell would you do that on a high gain amp? Might as well get an old Marshall imho... for metal, a 5150 shits all over these.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    If you ran the gain way low, hit it with a boost pedal and cranked the master, it *might* do ok. However, why the hell would you do that on a high gain amp? Might as well get an old Marshall imho... for metal, a 5150 shits all over these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this much - compared the bands that I've heard with them, my current rig sounds much better - and Smyth sounded much better with the Rectos in Testament.
                    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

What is your current rig, anyways? You were using a Road King, but I think you've changed that, correct?

Comment

Krank has been sending messages to the head of our record label about endorsing some of his bands. Whatever they're doing they must have a huge financial backing to be able to endorse so many bands seemingly without selling that many amps.

Comment

well, if they asked me if i wanted to be a krank endorser, i certainly wouldn't tell them to fuck off, that's for sure [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ok, as i said, i didn't play one, but then again god forbid had a rather nice tone. didn't sound too impressive when only one guitar was playing, but once the whole band kicked in the sound was actually quite clear and bright without being harsh.
                          as for andy sneap....yeah, sure, he could make anything sound decent, but there are a few other guys over at his forum who posted a few clips, and the didn't sound too bad. i definitely noticed that the krank-only clips didn't blow me away, but one guy posted 2 clips, the first one was all dual recto left-right, and the second one had the very same dual recto tracks, but also 2 tracks of a krank revolution panned left-right, and i can tell you, the second clip sounded GREAT.
                          maybe i can search for the links and post them here

Comment

I would say play one for yourself and make your own decision. I've played all of the Krank models and I didn't care for the Revolution or the Krankenstein but I'm a big fan of the Chadwick. And I was impressed with how noiseless they were.

Comment

Let me just add also, I haven't played one personally, but I've seen Soilwork a few times playing through the Kranks and they sounded awsome, and others I hated their tone. Just gotta plug into one for yourself and be the judge

Comment

"Just gotta plug into one for yourself and be the judge "
                                that's exactly what i'm trying to say here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X