Why 12" Speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why 12" Speakers?

With all the speaker sizes that are present today for live sound applications, how is it that 12" speakers became the standard size for guitar amplification? Do any companies manufacture larger speakers (like 15" or 18") for instrument use?

Re: Why 12\" Speakers?

There are still some guitar combo amps that use 15 inch speakers... Vox.. I think the Peavey Delta Blues uses 15 as well.
    Also a lot of bass amps use 15 inch speakers.

A few years back, the Randall Warhead full stack (I dunno if these are still made) had a 4x12 cab *and* a 1x15 ported cab.

I'm not exactly sure why but 12 has been accepted as the standard speaker size.. possibly because the guitar is generally a midrange instrument, and 12 inches is about right for that.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      A few years back, the Randall Warhead full stack (I dunno if these are still made) had a 4x12 cab *and* a 1x15 ported cab.

[/ QUOTE ]
      I think they were actually 2x15s. There's some Fender guitar amp that uses a 1x15", also.

Mostly bass amps use 10" speakers in conjunction with 15s. Carvin also makes 18" speaker cabs for their bass rigs.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What would an 18" speaker afford a bass player? Just more rumbling bass, or does a larger speaker allow for a wider range of tones to be handled?

Comment

weren't those Randall's 2 12's and a 15"?? i seem to remeber something like that.

Comment

An 18" bass speaker is good for reggae and some blues...essentialy slower music that works with a big, booming bass tone. These, and even 15" speakers can easily get "behind" ( the speaker has not finished its throw before the next note is played) faster styles and sound horrible and muddy, even distorted. This is why 10" speakers work so well for bass...they are much quicker and can hang with uptempo bass lines.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              weren't those Randall's 2 12's and a 15"?? i seem to remeber something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
              The top half of the stack was a 4x12, the bottom was a 2x15.

Comment

nah, looked it up in an old MF i had laying here at the shop. "Randall R125CX Cab: loaded with 2-12" Celestion Seventy 80's on top with a 15" Eminence Legend on the bottom. Deep front ports provide extended but tight low-end bass response. Power rating: 260W @ 4 Ohms." weirdness.

Comment

Maybe for the Warhead combo or some other combo? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  Dime's cabs were the 4x12 and 2x15 pics I posted above.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    With all the speaker sizes that are present today for live sound applications, how is it that 12" speakers became the standard size for guitar amplification?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    The easy answer is because they work the best. If 15s or 18s worked better, we'd be using them.

[ QUOTE ]
                    Do any companies manufacture larger speakers (like 15" or 18") for instrument use?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    They certainly do.

Gibson was another amp maker that used 15s. Most of these speakers were used in the early days when amp makers were still trying to figure out what works the best. Through trail and error, tey figured out 12s work the best.

Comment

if 10"'s work so good for bass... why don't they work good for guitar. or should i say, what about a 12" makes it better for guitar than a 10". with all the tuning down these days i'm surprised that some deathmetal band hasn't started using 4x10 cabs instead of 4x12's.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yeah, that was another thing i was wondering, too. I roadie for a guy who plays a standard tuned guitar through a 8x10", with highly overdriven guitar tones (I'm talking squarewaves here), and even after playing this rig for years at high volumes, it doesn't sound like the speakers are damaged. I've gone to numerous shows where he has shared the 8x10" with bass players in other bands with pretty normal tone settings, and they've sounded fine.

Comment

Why? Why ask why? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If it works ,it works [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've had 10inch speakers before but prefer the 12's. I
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

10s work great as well. I have Marshall Micro Stacks and love the tone. I won't go below 10s - anything smaller sounds like shit.

Comment

My vintage Kenwood 6 speaker 5-way speakers have 15 inch woofers. They just look cool and they only costed me $30. The cabs are gigantic. Me thinks it's a matter of space. Although, the bigger the cone the wider the waves go. And the deeper the bass. What do I know? If I turned up my stereo really loud I would blow out the opposite side of my trailer. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X