5150 vs. GH50L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 vs. GH50L

Hey, I know these amps are designed differently and were meant for different styles, but I need help in picking one. I know what the 5150 is capable of tone wise, but I've never tried the Laney and I'm wondering how it compares. I'll be having my own type of tone, but to kind of describe it, I want the rhythm to be really thick and heavy especially on palm mutes (ex: Zakk Wylde, In Flames), then on the leads I like it to have a really powerful, screaming tone (ex: Zakk again, Opeth, Megadeth, etc.). So just based on value, reliability, versatileness and all, which is the 'better' deal?
    Peavey 5150
    0%
    Laney GH50L
    0%

Re: 5150 vs. GH50L

mmmh.....i used to own a gh50l, but it's been a while and i haven't heared a 5150 back then. let me see...
    the 5150 has two dedicated channels, the rhyhtm can be either clean (well, halfway [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) or a second lead channel. the laney is essentially a 1 channel amp with a switchable gain boost. iirc, the "basic" channel (without the drive engaged) topped off somewhere along the lines of black sabbath, maybe even early iron maiden with an overdrive box. the drive channel had quite a lot of gain, i'm tempted to say about as much as the 5150.
    the laney is a lot brighter, sure the 5150 can also be quite bright but it's difficult to make the laney sound dark. it's not harsh, though, so don't see this as a minus. the laney has something like it's own version of a marshall sound going on....more gain than a jcm800 (even than the split channel versions), more bass and highs with less mids. iirc it liked having pedals in front, similar to old marshalls. the laney should also be cheaper.

what kinda sound are you looking for? i guess if you're more after the "swedish" sound the 5150 is the better choice. the 5150 is also more versatile. the laney is bright and rips right through a live mix (the 5150 also cuts well, but not as much as the laney), but is rather limited. if you like a variety of sounds you need to play with your attack and volume knob as well as some pedals.

mmh....i'd say for zakk or megadeth sounds the laney prolly suits you better, and it's also cheaper. if you can live with the limited versality go for the laney

Comment

I would choose the 5150 but for Zack Wylde or Megadeth tones you might want to look at a Marshall JMP1 and a power amp. The 5150 really doesn't sound much like a Marshall. The Laney would be closer to what you are looking for but I would still choose the 5150 because it is more versatile.

Comment

I guess I'll choose the 5150, but I'm lured towards the GH50L, because of the cheaper price. I see Mike from Opeth using it, and he gets a very heavy, dark sound out of it, that's one other tone I'd like to go for, but he did use 5150's on the earlier albums, so....

Comment

as far as i know, opeth always use a vast array of amps in the studio, and live it's the boss gt6 into the fx return of their laney heads, so they're basically bypassing the preamp of the laney.

Comment

Opeth uses Triple Rectifiers and Laney VH100's in the studio for they're distorted sound, but trust me, you don't want that kind of tone if you're playing alone. It won't have enough gain or balls for you (the Recto will, but I mean the way they set them up)

Get the 5150 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              as far as i know, opeth always use a vast array of amps in the studio, and live it's the boss gt6 into the fx return of their laney heads, so they're basically bypassing the preamp of the laney.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Yeah, I've decided I'm going w/ the 5150, but does he completely use the dist. from the GT-6 or what? I'm guessing that he also uses the GT-6 for the diff. preset tones too.

Comment

He uses the GH100L live set for a clean tone, GT6 for all effects and gain.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  He uses the GH100L live set for a clean tone, GT6 for all effects and gain.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Really? That's disappointing to hear that he relies completely on the gt6 for the dist.

Comment

i was dissapointed too, but its just easier that way. you know in the studio they arent using that boss crap

Comment

i like the 5150.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        i was dissapointed too, but its just easier that way. you know in the studio they arent using that boss crap

[/ QUOTE ]
                        In the studio they're probably using Mesa's and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X