Need pick-up recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need pick-up recommendations

Hey Guys i'm going to buy a dimarzio X2N as a bridge pickup for my import charvel. I also want to replace the 2 single coils, what single coils are good in combination with the X2N? My config is Humbucker - Single coil - Single coil

Thanks in advance [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Need pick-up recommendations

I'm looking to do the same on my model3 with a x2n in the bridge. The only thing I'm concerned about is the amp level drop when going from the bridge to the middle/neck pickups.
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

HS-3
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The highest output DiMarzios that would match best would be, from highest to lowest, Fast Track 2, Pro Track, The Chopper, Fast Track 1. Or maybe a Duncan Hot Rails.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you like humbucking, then lil 59 and lil JB are very good. HS 2 and 3 are very good stacked singles.

Comment

I use an X2N with a Hotrails and it is a great combo. I would stick with a rails type stacked single coil.

Comment

As per above. The X2N is pretty hot and the HS 3 is not.
              The thing about the lower output pick ups is that you will need some kind of boost (to get you to a similar level that the X2N is putting out) if that is the kind of tone you are after. Some people like the voltage drop because it kind of cleans up your sound. However, if the E Jay Malmsteen sound is what you are looking for (from the single) you will need to kick it up a few notches.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

How about
                Bridge: X2N
                Middle: HS-3
                Neck: Duncan Hotrail

Would that be an okay combi? I once had middle: hotrail bridge: hotrail, but i didn't use the hotness of the middle hotrail that much... that's why i'm thinking maybe it's better to put a low output single coil in the middle..

Comment

My money's on the Hot Rails.

Isn't it too bad that you can't walk into a store and try out a bunch of different pickups like you can guitars or amps? There's gotta be some cool little way around that. Maybe I (or somebody with willpower for that matter) could go for pattening a pickup emulator. Plug in, tell it what kind of pickup you have and make it emulate other pickups. At least you could get a rough idea.

Comment

Now I got a X2N Fast Track 2 and a Super Distortion S in my SL pro works fine [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I would go Hotrail in the neck and either a cool rail in the neck or a Dimarzio HS2.
                      You need a hot pickup in the neck to balance out the monster X2N output. An HS3 will not cut it. Its a great pickup but it has a rather low output.

Comment

I think the Super Distortion S eats a Hotrail

Comment

I never heard a Super Distortion S. It must be a relatively new pickup for Dimarzio. Another good neck pickup would be a Red Lace Sensor.

Comment

Never heard of a red lace sensor before either? Is it another brand or a pickup by duncan / dimarzio?

High ouput single coil it is. Hotrail, Fasttrack etc. all options.. just gotta check out wich one i like the most eh.

Comment

Dimarzio DP218

Comment

Working...
                              X