• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some amp reviews

Thats right.... the amp whore himself needs reviews on the following heads:

Line 6 Duoverb
    Tech 21 Trademark 300

Re: I need some amp reviews

Straying to the dark side are you? Tsk tsk tsk...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Straying to the dark side are you? Tsk tsk tsk...

[/ QUOTE ]
      Both of them look like nice amps for the money.
      I currently only have 1 live rig. Its my Soldano rack system. I need another head for band practice because I am currently in 2 working bands. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I am leaning towards the Duoverb. It looks like a stripped down bare bones Vetta and if I use my G-Major with it I think I will be in fine shape.
        Has anyone ever used a POD 2.0 in the effects loop just for effects and no modeling??

Comment

I think the duoverb is more of a rock/blues amp and not much in the way of distortion. For the money i would get a spider or a older flextone II head or combo.

Comment

its got the soldano setting, it should be fine. they are so dirt cheap right now anyway.

as for the 2.0 in the loop, never tried it but i'm sure its fine. just set it on tube pre and put everything at noon, adjust your fx from there and look up the hold+whatever key function to control all the different paramiters of the different FX.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I also thought the Duoverb was pretty blues/rock oriented. I dialed in some nice fusion/high gain lead tones too. I just wasn't too happy with the higher gain rhythm tones though.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

the duoverb will do a good metal sound. it has a couple of the high gain settings in there. the only problem i had with it is that it's a bit noisy...other than that good amp for the price.

as for the tm300, it's a good amp. once again, i think the gain is a bit lacking, but it's got more gain than a tm60. i talked to the guy at tech21 and he said that the tm300 is based on their tri a.c. pedal, so check that out to get a good idea of the sound.

Comment

I made my decision. I am going for a Vetta for my second rig. I will do the Soldano rack system for one band and the Vetta for the other. Perfect.
                  Why mess around... right?

Comment

Exactly...

Comment

good call!
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I had a duoverb head for about a week when MF was blowing them out for $399 IIRC. I thought it sucked. I didn't think it did anything particularly well at all.

Comment

Why not get another sp77?

Comment

I'm getting a Vetta.
                            My Soldano rack system consists of
                            Modded Carvin T100 power amp
                            G-Major/DMC controller
                            Soldano USA SP77
                            Power conditioner
                            Shure rack mt wireless system
                            Rane SP15 Parametric EQ
                            I am running it through a Mesa Boogie 1/2 back 4 x 12 cab in mono bridged to 100w.
                            It was a fairly expensive rig to buy and I really can't afford to build another one for another band.
                            With the Vetta, all I need to use is my 2 2 x 12 Randall cabinets and the foot controller (AND A WHOLE MESS OF PROGRAMMING!!!) and I am good to go with my other band.
                            My Soldano rig is being used for a big New Years Eve gig and then it is being sent to the recording studio for the winter while we record our new record. We are using a Peavey 5150, Peavey 5150II, a new Marshall DSL and the Soldano with a variety of cabinets to record all of the guitar tracks for our new record.
                            BTW... I know that alot of the Marshall fans hate the DSL and the TSL. I demo'd one for a few hours at all kinds of volume levels with a standard Marshall 1960A cab loaded with Vin 30's and it sounded totally fantastic. I am not talking about the construction of it or how it would hold up compared to an old Marshall. I am just talking about the tone. It sounded GREAT.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              as for the tm300, it's a good amp. once again, i think the gain is a bit lacking, but it's got more gain than a tm60. i talked to the guy at tech21 and he said that the tm300 is based on their tri a.c. pedal, so check that out to get a good idea of the sound.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I've got Tri-AC pedal... it's very good, does great Fender, Marshall and Mesa sounds, but I also think it still lacks a little gain. Though, it does take very well to OD pedals in front of it to give you that extra boost for going over the top.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X