What 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 5150

Well I'm looking to get a 5150 but, which one to get.
    The block logo, the signature, 5150 I, 5150 II?
    I guess my question is, what one is the meanest.

Re: What 5150

No diff between block letter and the later 5150 except for the tubes that came with them. The power tubes from the block letter head were different. Most likely any block letter you find will not have the original power tubes in it or they will be spent so dont buy into the "Block letter is better" BS.

THe 5150 has a heavier distortion then the later II.

Comment

Heavier? I am suprised as the 2 has an extra 12AX7 in it, interesting [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] jack.

Comment

Different lead channel circuitry I think has to do with it. To my ears the II has less gain and the tone is different. I like the 5150 much better. Then again. I dont really use a clean channel for cleans so... THe clean channel on the II is much better than the original.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Different lead channel circuitry I think has to do with it. To my ears the II has less gain and the tone is different. I like the 5150 much better. Then again. I dont really use a clean channel for cleans so... THe clean channel on the II is much better than the original.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the truth.

Comment

I dont think it has less gain, i think it has alot smother gain, if any less gain it is not enough to make a difference as anything above 6 on the 5150 and it doesnt sound as good. The 5150 original is just more raw, so depending on what music you want to play might depend on the amp you want. Also the 5150II has alot better of a clean channel, so if you need a clean then that is something to think about too.

To my ears i like 5150II because i like the smoother distortion over the raw distortion.

Comment

The II is somewhat brighter than the I head and a lot brighter than the combo, also a little smoother like Siggy said but still raw, dark and crushing. I love both variants but prefer the II due to the clean channel.
              As far as the pure amount of gain goes, it's pretty pointless to debate which of these amps has more or less gain.. both have MORE than you'll EVER need. Well-documented fact. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Between the 2, I personally like the first version, but with the music I play my clean stuff isn't entirely clean anyway. Those descriptions given are dead on, the gain is a little more uncontrolled in a sense, but I like that because I can EQ it and shape it the way I want. Seems the EQing on the II is already at a level where it's not as intense.

Comment

http://www.fjamods.com/5150vs5150II.html

End of story.

Comment

There are also some mods you can have done, looks like it improves both versions to what you need from it

http://www.voodooamps.com/standardmods-peavey.html

Peavey 5150 (6505) & 5150II (6505+) Series:

Standard Mod: $xxx.xx

* We remove the fuzzy/buzzy characteristics in favor or of gain that is more articulate/defined/clear
                    * We tighten up the bottom end so it's rock solid and never loose/tubby/woofy
                    * As make the clean channel cleaner/more airy/chimey/open sounding as well as warmer
                    * The crunch channel is greatly improved as well
                    * We convert the amp over to adjustable bias (normally $49.95 extra) based on the tubes type you want to use (6L6 or EL34)
                    * We balance out all the frequencies so the amp is more even sounding over all as well as responsive
                    * You can get more of a cranked tone at lower volumes as well as sustain
                    * The amp will be able to cut through the mix a lot better both live as well as in the studio
                    * Improve the harmonic structure so harmonics leap off from the fretboard with ease
                    * The EQ section will be more flexible over all
                    * You can get a cranked tone at lower volume levels (the clips on our site were recorded with the Master Volume on "1") the amp will also sound great at higher volumes as well
                    * All features will still function the same and we do not add/remove any tubes nor do we drill any holes
                    * We do not modify the FX-Loop or the switching system, only the preamp and the power amp
                    * Add-On Controls: We are not able to add on any extra controls as there is no physical room inside the amp to make that happen
                    * We can dial in the amp to your personal tastes if you so prefer
                    * We charge a flat fee of $395.00 to mod the Peavey 5150 series and this includes the 5150 and the 5150 II heads. Combos are more in-depth as they are laid out differently and we basically have to disassemble the amp to mod it. The combos are $425.00 to modify.
                    * TURN AROUND TIME: 2 business days!!
                    * Return Policy

Deluxe Standard Mod: $xxx.xx

Includes:

* Standard Mod
                    * Custom Mercury Magnetics output transformer (List Price $250.00)
                    * Installation of Mercury Magnetics output transformer (List Price $50.00)
                    * Voodoo Circle-V Logo available in chrome or gold for $34.95 plus installation – logo is solid metal, not plastic
                    * Return Policy

So many possibilities with amps these days...

Comment

I have the differences between the models on the link posted above. For the most part the original 5150/6505 is better for full on high gain stuff and the 5150II/6505+ is better for a wider range of stuff. The 5150II has a brighter overall tone, less gain, and a better clean. The 5150II lead channel can be modded back to the specs of the original which give you a killer high gain tone along with a Marshall like crunch and a nice clean.
                      Jerry
                      FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Why xs over the price? I thought that only had to be done with this site's sponsors for Jacksons.

Comment

Ya know I'm not even sure why I did that...

Comment

Thanks for the info and links.
                            Looks like I might go with the 5150 I.
                            I'm looking for the "full on high gain" sound.
                            But the moded 5150 II would be cool too.
                            But I'll post when I get something.

Thanks.

Comment

I also noticed the 5150II has separate EQ`s for each channel, I like that!! But alas, I liie full on high gain also, man what a tough choice on these 2!! Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X