X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner Amplification

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bogner stuff is great, second to none if that is the tone you are after. The only thing about the uber that I didnt like was it seemed to be voiced towards death metal or dtuned music. If you are after 80s type tone I dont think it will be up your alley. That is why I sold mine.

First of all, when I say 80's metal, my definition is a VH based tone taken to the next level in tightness and aggression....to ME...Megadeths tone is the standard of 80's metal. With that being said, the XTC gets you so close, there's only two key points that are just lacking slightly.....tightness and grind...it's so close though.
    I would give up the clean on my XTC to gain a third gain channel that maintains the organic and full nature of the XTC's third channel to get some extra grind and tightness.

Re: Bogner Amplification

Ya that megadeth "Countdown to Extinction" tone is what I'm after as well.
    I'm getting really close with my 5150 and B-52 combos
    running in stereo.
    I tried an XTC-A a last month and if I had cash to burn I
    would have one. I really liked it, but I can't reconcile
    spending that much on a rig when I'm not even playing in a band. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Once you have had an XTC for about a week, the depression over its high cost dissapears....I'm not saying it is the end all be all of amps but it is truly a fantastic amp with so much sonic complexity....it's like a layered 3D tone that's hard to describe.

Comment

You aren't going to get any arguement from me. I just checked the lottery numbers last night and I still didn't win.
        One day maybe I'll have one. I could've sat in that store all day and played with it , the range of tones was almost over whelming (almost [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ).
        truly in a class of it's own.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          we now return to your regularly scheduled topic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra framus cobra [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Have you played an XTC, if so...please compare the two in the high gain dept. please [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
            we now return to your regularly scheduled topic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

no i haven't, i'm on the fence between an uber and a cobra actually. they're close in price used once i have the money together i'll have to find a local dealer and spend some time there.
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Hey,I've listened to a megadeth clip posted on HC recorded with an uber and the sound was VERY similar to CTE.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Hey,I've listened to a megadeth clip posted on HC recorded with an uber and the sound was VERY similar to CTE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...almost....it has the upper mids, tightness and grind. What I feel it lacks is body, Megadeths tone to my ears has full organic quality to it. Now, the truth is I have a Uber here that doesn't belong to me and I've only had it for about three days so I am most certainly less than experienced with it. I'm going to continue dialing up and see what I come up with.

Comment

Try a good Parametric like a TC-1140 in the loop of the XTC... You will probably be VERY surprised at what crunchy tones you can eek out of that amp... Overdriving the input with something like an EMG PA-2 preamp will do some impressive grind as well.

It's nice to have your cake and eat it too...

Comment

I was playing VH all night with my Uber..

Mine must be special.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

special as in corky? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

The Uber I have here is the Blue Revision and what reading I have done indicates the Blue version is brighter....I don't know if that means there are more low mids in the older version or what but.....

I have three cabs I'm using with it:

Bogner 4x12 Straight w/ CL80's
                          Bogner 4x12 Angled w/ V30's
                          Marshall JCM900 w/ G12T-75's

I much prefer the Marshall cab...it seems tighter and just overall more solidly balanced across the tone spectrum.

The V30's seem a little hairy in the top end and overall a bit harsh although not ice picky

The CL80's while solid just don't seem to have the bounce.

As stated above...I've had it for three days so I am no where near ,"experienced" with it....the balance between the Master Volume, the preamp (or channel) volume, and the presence control seem to be the key. From that point ...use the gain control to dial in the right amount of saturation and compression.....you gotta be careful w/ this one.

Bill.....please share some settings if you wouldn't mind....just lurking on this forum, I've known you to be using the Uber for quite awhile as your main rig.

Comment

Cobra is ubertight.

But you can't get 80's tone without an 80's amp, imho. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I can get a VERY Van Halenish tone from my Uber with ZERO problems. It is a HUGE misconception that the Uber can't be tamed to do 80's metal..It can do that VERY well. Just back off the gain and lows is all..I can get this to be tamer than "80's metal"..I can dial in a true Marshall JMP "Flick of the switch" AC/CD tone BIG TIME!!

Yes, the amp was designed to sound "Heavy"..for downtuned "modern" stuff..but it can do that and everything in bewteen..

It has a very WARM/SMOOTH/TIGHT gain structure..so if you want Ratt / Dokken tone ..back off the lows and gain..kick up the mids..BOOM..you're there.

The Uber is the TIGHTEST "metal" amp I ever played for heavy palm muting..it has a very / precise and percussive attack..that is way tighter than Jeff Loomis when I saw him using his Krank, which is not saying much..I think this amp would fit his style perfectly , in fact, I know it would.

I run My uber with a Marshall 1960A slant cab loaded with 75s'..I have no complaints..

I never had a better "tone" in my life..

My settings..

Well first , I think it sounds tightest when the amp and cab is switched to 4 Ohms..to me it makes a difference...I dunno why.

The presence control is VERY important and can really change the overall voice of the amp..it can make it scooped or very midrangy to cut through anything if needed ..I adjust the Presence anywhere from 10- 1 O' clock..which is a BIG difference..the presence is more of a high mid control than a actual "presence" control like on most amps..the treble IS the "presence" and can put you anywhere from sludge to sizzle.

Right now my presence is set at 11 o clock / the treble is a little past 4 O clock / the mid is at 10 O clock / the bass is at 1 O clock / the gain is almost Maxed..it's backed off to about 5 O clock..it sounds and feels BEST there to me..maxed it can get a little bit too hairy but still very usable..backing it off just makes it a bit less noisey.

The amp is tweaked like I never had it before..so John does NOT know what this thing sounds like at this time..

I'm VERY pleased with the amp..I wouldn't even consider anything else at this time..Unless something sitting right next to it smokes it. I just don't see that happening to be honest.

Now I use the G major's output knob for the Master control. The G Magor's input control is maxed. The Uber's dirty chanel volume control is up just enough to push the G major to where it barely blinks red.

The Uber's far left Master Volume knob is maxed..

Like I said , I just use the G Major's OUTPUT for my actual master.

I found that the simple layout of the Uber is quite decieving..the eq section is extremely active and very interactive. Unlike any amp head I've owned before to be truthful. There is alot you can do with the amp..if you want AC/DC ..you got it..If you want VH/RATT /DOKKEN/..you got it...if you want NEVERMORE you got it ..ICED EARTH..yep...Death Metal ..sure...Korn..whatever..

I have owned five 5150s / Dual Recto / Mrk III / Umpteen Marshalls old and new / Lee Jacksons / Soldanos / I've played many many other amps ..and none come close. I do like the VHT stuff. Every VHT that I've played I really liked, not as "heavy" as my Uber but very nice Indeed.

I would loved to play a Cobra / Avenger / Powerball-Fireball / Deizel..those I have not had the oppurtunity to play..and a/b them next to my Uber..not you guys..just me, myself and I..because I'm the one that has to like it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

This is MOST IMPORTANT..For ME to "like" ANY amp at all. It MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST be able to give me VAN HALEN..I have a bag of VH riffs such as "Aint talkin'"..it must give me everything I throw at it without ANY fuzzy , flagulent, saggy bullshit..otherwise I have ZERO use for that amp...this is how I know a amp and I will get along. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't play clean..but the clean channel is VERY nice and
                              "pretty" with some chorus and verbs from the G major..so it's there if ever I need it.

It did take me a couple years to get familar with this amp..I was getting very frustsrated when I first got it..especially when cranked. But this has changed. You must take the time and really get to know this amp..a hour here and there in a music store will just give you a "idea" what this thing can really do..

This is my take on the Uberschall. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X