Marshall 3203 Artist review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall 3203 Artist review

I had what I though was one of the good sounding ones. I bought it about 5 years ago from a local dealer for $239. I had to get rid of it (I forgot why). A few weeks later I found myself buying another one from the same dealer for $239 again. I bought it sight unheard and it sucked. I even tried new tubes, it still sucked. I want another one, but I don't want to gamble sight unheard again. They don't seem to pop up locally in my area much at all.

Comment

Threy are cool for what they are ..a baby 2210 is a nice comparison.

2210 Marshalls are my favorite grab and go stock Marshall head..you don't need a stomp in front of them..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        BTW, you don't love me. You don't send me flowers, take me for long walks on the beach in the moonlight, or even remember my damn birthday! Bitch. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. I really need to work on my foreplay. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I have one that I recently picked up on ebay and I love it. I run it into a 1960a w/ 75watt celestions wired in parallel (4 Ohms). Sometimes I use a pod in the effect loop, sometimes not (more often not lately). I play bluesy stuff like Hendrix and SRV through the clean channel on my LP Custom. The result is very responsive to pick attack with fairly pure clean when going light and a really nice growl when more force is used. Mine has the C13 mod. I switch over to my old Ibanez and the lead channel when I want to play Metallica or AC/DC type stuff (This is the guitar I'm looking to replace with a Jackson). It has a great ballsy crunchy sound and can sing out the leads articulately, by that I mean the leads notes don't run into each other and are clearly distinguishable. Howling (but deliberate and predicable) feedback is right there for the asking (and more importantly not there when you don't). I think the pinch harmonics are more a function of the guitar and pickups than the amp but it screeches fine. I'm a basement player these days but I used to play out with my old one and it had plenty of power for clubs. I never played anything clean back then though. The clean side certainly seems loud enough for club playing in my basement. Actually, I felt a little guilty while reading this thread because I know I've contributed to the somewhat inflated prices. I had been looking for months for one, mostly driven by nostalgia becuase I had a 3203 in the 80's and loved it then so I BIN'ed one for $425 shipped on impulse one night. I wanted to try one out before pulling the trigger to see if they were really as good as I remember them but I never found one in a store. Resale seems to be easy however so I reasoned the risk was low in just buying one and trying it out that way.

Comment

If Marshall had only put a bass and treble control on the lead channel this amp would have been alot more popular.
            I wonder why they decided on just a tone knob? It doesn't even make sense. I am running an EQ in the loop to solve that issue.

Comment

Do these things come in combo form too?
              "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Model # 4203

Comment

So these have a transistor (op amp) front end. Wouldn't they be similar to my Micro Stacks, sans the tube back end? I love the tone I get from my Micro Stacks (I have three). One is on the chopping block getting a 2203 5 watt tube section put in (2 12AX7's and an EL84). Not enough room to fit in more tubes without overheating.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    So these have a transistor (op amp) front end. Wouldn't they be similar to my Micro Stacks, sans the tube back end? I love the tone I get from my Micro Stacks (I have three). One is on the chopping block getting a 2203 5 watt tube section put in (2 12AX7's and an EL84). Not enough room to fit in more tubes without overheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, the 3203 sounds like a 2210. The EL34's really warm it up. You would never guess it has a solid state preamp from the tone.

Comment

Hmmm...sorry I gotta be the voice of reason here. The 3203 is a decent sounding amp. It is certainly usable for a lot of things. But some of you guys are making it out to sound like this is the holy grail of tone. It's not. It's a very good amp for $300. But there is no mistaking this thing for a JCM 800. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

True, very true...it's a cute lil' baby Marshall..coochie coochie coo.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've noticed somewhat of a difference between different ones that I've played, but I think the better ones easily hold their own against alot of the 800's that I've played.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Hmmm...sorry I gotta be the voice of reason here. The 3203 is a decent sounding amp. It is certainly usable for a lot of things. But some of you guys are making it out to sound like this is the holy grail of tone. It's not. It's a very good amp for $300. But there is no mistaking this thing for a JCM 800. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Hey Tim, it sure beats the hell out of any other $300.00 amps I have laying around! I agree with you 100%, its a great for a budget high gain Marshall tone but it ain't no vintage JCM800.
                            Guys... this isn't the holy grail of Marshall tone.... well, maybe for $300-$400 with no additional pedals it is.
                            For me... thats right... ME, this amp addresses my biggest issue with the 2210. Volume. The 2210 had to be turned up to loud to sound good and the 3203 sounds good at decent at home playing volumes. Tim should know about my amp.. I GOT IT FROM HIM!!!!! I like it. Sambencuda and Wayniac are coming over tomorrow night so maybe they can post a little review of it too. I am too Marshal bias'd. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The last one that sold before this went for $399.00 + shipping. This one went for around the same amount. Sometimes I just can't figure out Ebay. Marshall 3203

Comment

I had one in 1993. I loved it. I had it with the 4x10 cab and it was a great little amp.

I have always said how great that amp was.

I am glad you are digging yours.

Mike
                                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                                X