laney AOR Tube 50 watt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laney AOR Tube 50 watt

Is 350 a good price for this? Arent these the heads Ratt used? Tell me a bit more if you can.

Re: laney AOR Tube 50 watt

No, not plus the $50 shipping. You can find them cheaper. You should, too. I'm interested in what you think of it.

Comment

Hey there.

$350 is what I paid for mine (100w head)(thats what the tag said at GC, I didnt actually pay for it, I traded straight up my Peavey Classic 30, I got the better end of the deal, HARHARHAR.

You can get them for $200-300 on ebay.

Warren DeMartini used them live (not sure about the studio)

I love mine, It has a great, totally orgainic, pure rock and roll tone. If your guitar has single coils, and if you turn up the precence knob, it gets that Paul Gilbert twang, which i've found is extremely fun for blues stuff, or Paul Gilbert style power-shred blues. Hit a humbucker and the AOR channel has plenty of sustain.

Its my favorite amplifier. Ive played all sorts of tube amps, lots of expensive amps, but this one is my favorite. Its not as tonally perfect as alot of amps out there, but in my opinion, thats why I like it. There are lots of great amps out there that are extremely expensive, such as the whole Bogner, Engl, Diezel, Genz Benz, Mesa pack, but none of the amps have any character about them.

This thing is oozing with character. It has a very very good Van Halen sound, its got that same orgainicness and warmth.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Hey there.

$350 is what I paid for mine (100w head)(thats what the tag said at GC, I didnt actually pay for it, I traded straight up my Peavey Classic 30, I got the better end of the deal, HARHARHAR.

You can get them for $200-300 on ebay.

Warren DeMartini used them live (not sure about the studio)

I love mine, It has a great, totally orgainic, pure rock and roll tone. If your guitar has single coils, and if you turn up the precence knob, it gets that Paul Gilbert twang, which i've found is extremely fun for blues stuff, or Paul Gilbert style power-shred blues. Hit a humbucker and the AOR channel has plenty of sustain.

Its my favorite amplifier. Ive played all sorts of tube amps, lots of expensive amps, but this one is my favorite. Its not as tonally perfect as alot of amps out there, but in my opinion, thats why I like it. There are lots of great amps out there that are extremely expensive, such as the whole Bogner, Engl, Diezel, Genz Benz, Mesa pack, but none of the amps have any character about them.

This thing is oozing with character. It has a very very good Van Halen sound, its got that same orgainicness and warmth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am really digging my JCM800's right now, i guess i am revisiting my past and i always loved Ratt's tone

Comment

Thats what he used but they don't really nail the Ratt tone. Tubed correctly with the proper stomp box in front (I think Warren used a Proco Rat pedal in front) you can get pretty close to Out of the Cellar tone. The mid 3's shipped is the going rate for a mint one.

Comment

I have a mint 50 watt head, but it's not worth it to me to sell it that low. I also have the 50 watt combo with a sealed back 1x12 and reverb. I need a good speaker. Someone took the Fane before I bought it. I'd like to get another Fane, or an G12H-30 for it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Thats what he used but they don't really nail the Ratt tone. Tubed correctly with the proper stomp box in front (I think Warren used a Proco Rat pedal in front) you can get pretty close to Out of the Cellar tone. The mid 3's shipped is the going rate for a mint one.

[/ QUOTE ]

so where did they get there sound for invasion and dancing albums? Two of my favorite tones.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so where did they get there sound for invasion and dancing albums? Two of my favorite tones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read somewhere that Demartini used that famous mystery Marshall that he borrowed from George Lynch for the studio tracks. Knowing Demartini.. he probably used several amps for the recording sessions. I believe they had a Laney endorsement so they used them live. I don't know if they were stock or not or what was in the backline. They were slaved AOR's which really does change the sound of them.
                Bottom line.. the AOR is a pretty nice affordable amp.

Comment

John,

Can you get that tone with some of you modelling stuff (don't know if you have tried to)?

Comment

i had a line on the 30w head for 100$ ... but turned out that the shipping to europe would me much more than that plus i'd need a new power supply...

you can find them on ebay for 2 to 3 big ones.
                    KICKASS amps.
                    they are like the charvel model series of amps.

cheap sturdy and ROCKIN!
                    You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      John,

Can you get that tone with some of you modelling stuff (don't know if you have tried to)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my formula for that EXACT Demartini tone:

Carvin X60 1 x 12 combo
                      Analogman modded Boss OD-3

Its dead on exact.
                      I was also able to get a VERY convincing tone using the Roland Cube 30.

Comment

Lay it Down sounds alot like a Laney to me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Lay it Down sounds alot like a Laney to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Its the most Laney sounding of any of them.
                          Back for More has a very Laney sound to it too.
                          Round and Round sounds like Marshall to me.

Comment

Actually, I head "Back for More" on the radio while I was playing on my Laney yesterday, and I was like WHOA! THAT SOUNDS JUST LIKE MY AMP!

Not exact, EQ'd differently i suppose, but it had that same character about it, the same sort of gain structure, and oozing with the bassy tones. This amp has MASSIVE low end with the EQ boost.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Actually, I head "Back for More" on the radio while I was playing on my Laney yesterday, and I was like WHOA! THAT SOUNDS JUST LIKE MY AMP!

Not exact, EQ'd differently i suppose, but it had that same character about it, the same sort of gain structure, and oozing with the bassy tones. This amp has MASSIVE low end with the EQ boost.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Massive - I think ALL of the bass flows into the power amp when you pull that bass boost. Anyone need "Chunk"?

Comment

Working...
                              X