Martin setup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin setup question

I've never really looked into this but, I own a Martin D-16GT. It is just an acoustic, not an electric acoustic. I noticed someone playing a Martin on stage. When I looked at the guitar, the soundhole looked solid and it was black. Is that the pickup and how do you go about modifying an acoustic for that?

Now, I bought a Dean Markley pickup for the Martin. It's just a pickup that is rectangular in shape and connects to soundhole itself, but what is that I was looking at? Is that an addition to an acoustic that is permanently set on an acoustic? I know its a dumb question, but I never really looked into it. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Martin setup question

[ QUOTE ]
    I've never really looked into this but, I own a Martin D-16GT. It is just an acoustic, not an electric acoustic. I noticed someone playing a Martin on stage. When I looked at the guitar, the soundhole looked solid and it was black. Is that the pickup and how do you go about modifying an acoustic for that?

Now, I bought a Dean Markley pickup for the Martin. It's just a pickup that is rectangular in shape and connects to soundhole itself, but what is that I was looking at? Is that an addition to an acoustic that is permanently set on an acoustic? I know its a dumb question, but I never really looked into it. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Icon, go yanks! Anyway the black you see is a soundhole cover and it is to control feedback at high volumes. The pickup usually rests inside the guitar somewhere, usually close to the hole. As to not having a pickup in yours, they do make so you can, basically you put the pickup in and the jack usually replaces your strap botton on the bottom, in other words it is a 2 for 1, acts as a strap botton but also a place to put the jack. Usually these pickups are pretty cheap, you can get one for under 60 dollars. The downside to these is you have no onboard EQ's but that is not a biggie in my eyes, that is what you have a soundboard for!

Comment

That's a soundhole cover. It kills the feedback in a live setting when you are using a piezo bridge pickup. I've got one and they work great.

Comment

I never knew that. So if I were to add to the Martin, I wouldn't have to do any cutting, The cable would connect into the guitar strap which serves the dual purpose, if I'm reading you right.

Can an equalizer be hooked up? If so, would that involve cutting? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] I don't use a soundboard, just a straight plug in.

As for the sound hole cover, thats all it is [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img], I'm embarrassed. Does the pickup sit hidden behind it?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          piezo bridge pickup

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what that is.........I should hang my head. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Comment

A piezeo bridge pickup is a thin piezo strip that sits under the saddle. A small hole is drilled under the saddle, through the top, to run the wire. As Siggy said, the strap button is removed, the hole is widened a bit, and the strap button/jack is put in it's place.

Comment

Working...
            X