Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rectifier Modes ? WTH does this mean to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectifier Modes ? WTH does this mean to me?

the B 52 at 212 combo I just bought has a dial in the back of the head for Class "A", "AB" and "solid state" mode.
    what does this mean to me sound wise?
    I've read a bunch of stuff online that explains the "technical" differences between them, but tone wise,
    and how hot my head runs, what are the differences? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    I've only run this amp in "A" mode so far.
    thanks
    Nick
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: Rectifier Modes ? WTH does this mean to me?

Class A and AB have nothing to do with the rectifier, they are descriptions of how the tubes are biased. AB is a push-pull arrangement of the power tubes, wheras A the tubes are going at all times. AB usually gives a tighter, quicker response while A tends to be a bit more loose and saggy.
    Rectifiers are either tube or SS. SS is a quicker attack, tube is a bit spongier.

This is a very elementary explanation but is really all most of us need to know. PM me if you would like a more in depth, scientific answer.

Comment

Yeah, that's a good summary. Class A will run a bit hotter as well, and personally, I think it sounds "harder", but...expirement!

Comment

Thanks guys, I've read "AB" produces "Crossover distortion" ?
        WTF is that?
        And Chuck what do you mean by "harder" sounding?
        I'm trying to dial in that big "Brown" sound and I'm
        wondering which mode is going to be easier to do it in, or if the mode makes any difference at all in this respect.
        thanks
        Nick
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
        X