• Ok who can tell me about B52 amps?

Just came from GC in Boston and was playing a Charvel EVH B/W through a B52
    100 watt "AT 212" 2X12 combo and it actually sounded really pretty
    good. I have never heard of these amps, can someone fill me
    in? are these things any good? It's all tube, they
    wouldn't let me crank it up so I didn't get to hear it
    turned up.
    anyone hear know anything about these. And since when is GC
    carrying Diezel amps? they had a whole bunch of them.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: Ok who can tell me about B52 amps?

There have been a few threads on here that mentioned them. I posted a review of mine after I got it. Some people are really sold on them. I was ready to sell mine, but after trying some new settings, I'm on the fence. The thing you hear most often, is people tossing around recto comparisons, and I must admit, there is something about the AT100 that is very Recto-ish.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I tried an AT-100 at local GC with a B-52 4x12
      played it for an hr
      I liked it, and think it rocks
      And the price $$$$$ WOW
      I may pic up the AT-100 Head

Comment

I don't really like them, but I've heard people get some good tones out of them. I work at GC and I sell those B52 cabinets all day long, they sound good and are a great deal. The AT100 is a decent head for the money but I like my Mesa better.

Comment

I too tried one at a GC, first played it through the B52 cab then took a mesa boogie traditional sized rec cabinet.

Here is my take, pretty good distortion, more suited for 80's style metal with a very heavy vibe. i also compared the distortion to sounding very crate like but warmed up by the tubes. I have a feeling there is some diode clipping going on in these amps.

With the B52 cab this amp just screamed heavy 80's sound, not sure what speakers are in them, but i would say they come close to the celestion 75's in tone, far as i know they are probaly thoes speakers in the cab.

With the mesa cabinet it sounded alot better to my ears, but i am also into more of a rock/hard rock vibe with good mid's and not as high on the treble side, so to me the mesa cab sounded better.

Like the other guys i never got to blast it, but for the price i think these are great amps for beginners that are looking more for that 80's metal vibe or a punkish/pop punkish/heavy rock vibe that cant afford to much else.

If you are looking to do newer metal or a real heavy sounding metal then i say save up the extra $100 to $200 and get a used 5150 or 5150II.

Comment

I'm atually dying to try 5150 combo, but no shops here in
            Boston have one. I'm torn between a JSX combo and 5150 combo, I need a clean channel but from I've read the 5150
            will kill the JSX on the gain channels so I need to hear both of them.
            the B52 combo I tried yesterday sounded very close to a JSX combo and that's what's got me intrigued. It's alot less
            expensive that's for sure. the B52 clean channel was amazing.
            The difference between the 2 crunch channels was negligible, but at low volume it sounded pretty ballsy.
            the thing I'm noticing about some of these combos (that I don't like) is that the sound doesn't jump out at you, like
            a marshall or a mesa does. I'm assuming the 5150 jumps out at you as well. I wonder what it is? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I'm atually dying to try 5150 combo, but no shops here in
              Boston have one. I'm torn between a JSX combo and 5150 combo, I need a clean channel but from I've read the 5150
              will kill the JSX on the gain channels so I need to hear both of them.
              the B52 combo I tried yesterday sounded very close to a JSX combo and that's what's got me intrigued. It's alot less
              expensive that's for sure. the B52 clean channel was amazing.
              The difference between the 2 crunch channels was negligible, but at low volume it sounded pretty ballsy.
              the thing I'm noticing about some of these combos (that I don't like) is that the sound doesn't jump out at you, like
              a marshall or a mesa does. I'm assuming the 5150 jumps out at you as well. I wonder what it is? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I owned the 5150 combo and let me just say you will not be disappointed. I think it sounded better then the regular 5150 on the distortion channel.

Not to mention it is closed back so you get plenty of bottom end, think a over sized 2x12, it was so close to a 4x12 normal people wouldnt be able to tell, hell probaly 75% of musicians couldnt.

I havent played the JSX one yet, but from the website it says it is in a open back cabinet so there wont be as much thump.

I guess your choice will also go on what style of music you are playing. If you are looking for heavy to brutal distortion and can deal witha decent clean go with the 5150.

Comment

PS the one downside to the 5150 combo, is it is heavy as all hell, that is because of the closed back design.

Comment

Re: B 52 amps

gonna start a new thread

Comment

Working...
                  X